Not directly relating to the reserve, but having had four juvenile ringtail Hen Harriers head south through the marsh this autumn I thought that a little piece on the movements of a satellite-tagged bird from South West Scotland would be appropriate especially given the high profile currently being given to raptor persecution following the publication of our Birdcrime 2013 report and the push to licence grouse shooting.

Rainham Marshes was historically the best place in the London and South-west Essex to see hen harriers and they used to roost here in small numbers on the old Silt Lagoons up until the late 1980s. Wouldn’t it be great to see them once again out on these ancient marshes but now in the company of our newly colonising resident marsh harriers?

Tony Orwell found this bird at the new and ever developing RSPB Wallasea Wetlands on the Essex coast just north of Southend, on the 28th October.  It hung around until the 2nd November and some great shots were taken including these by Trevor Oakley...

You can clearly see the satellite transmitter in these superb images.

I contacted our RSPB Hen Harrier monitoring team and I have now received an update about it travels since it left its natal area and have made them into a movement map...

As you can see, as of November 7 it is thought to be in Normandy. Perhaps it will be eventually seen trying to catch wintering larks down as far as La Janda in southern Spain? 

And here is a photo of this little chap having her satellite transmitter fitted.....

13-11-14