Visiting Loch Garten and Strathspey

I offered to start this Topic before my own trip to Scotland, so thought I'd better get on with it. 

The idea - somewhere to bring together people's accounts of their visits, photos, useful information, questions from those planning a trip - a sort of scrapbook really. 

I still need to write up my own visit, but anyone is welcome to post material or links here.       

• Thank You Sue C for starting this topic, it will be invaluable for anyone going to visit LG, any hints and tips that we can all add will be helpful too.

I arrived at LG just at 10 am on the 12th when Caroline came running in and was all excited telling us that Tore had just done a flypast, Tore had actually fledged at 08.42 that morning.   The place had such a great atmosphere as everyone peered out to see if we could see her, but we didnt she had actually disappeared into the wild blue yonder.

There is a nice walk down by Loch Mallachie that is worth taking, the entrance is on the right hand side just before the LG Centre.   I know many of you will already know this but maybe for someone making a first visit I thought it would be worth pointing it out.

We also took a drive up to Findhorn Bay to see if we could spot any Osprey's as I believe its an area that they like to fish, but we didnt see any, its a nice drive anyway and if you come back via the Malt Whisky Trail then the road goes close to the River Spey so you just never know maybe you would be lucky to spot an Osprey fishing.    I have also heard that Spey Bay is another good place to spot Osprey's, but we didnt venture there.

The eyrie is a long way off from the hide so even with a 300 mm lens this was the best photo I could get.  

Also took this photo from the TV monitor in the centre of EJ feeding Bynack.

• I came to Loch Garten on Tuesday 12th July after lunch.  It was a beautiful afternoon.  We were fortunate to see Odin fly in with a fish which EJ fed to Bynack and Odin immediately flew away again.  After a while we saw Tore flying past the nest but it was quite a long time before she was spotted sitting in a dead tree further away from EJ who was at this time sitting on the camera tree.  It was great to have the opportunity to see all the family at the same time.  Had a lovely chat to David and to Caroline.  Good to put faces and names together!  My camera is just an ordinary digital camera but I was able to get acceptable photos of EJ on the camera tree and across to the nest through the telescopes at the centre.  I haven't got them onto the computer yet so will do that shortly.

This must have been my 6th visit to Loch Garten, a magical place.  It was great to have been there the day that Tore fledged.

• Just missed you then Valerie - on both days too.....

• Thanks to All - this is interesting to those of us who have not visited LG yet - but may do in the future (I hope!)   Special thanks to SueC for starting the thread.

• My first visit to Loch Garten was on Friday 1st July. I arrived on the 34 bus from Aviemore, getting off at the nearest stop which is a junction about 30 minutes' walk from the Osprey Centre, mostly on a footpath running alongside a quiet road. On the way, I saw crested tits for the first time and a red squirrel.

I had a few minutes looking over Loch Garten before Charlotte came to open up at the entrance, and I learned from her that ringing and tagging had taken place the previous evening. At the Osprey Centre, I chatted to Stephanie and John. The newly-named Tore and Bynack were just visible on the nest and EJ was sitting in the camera tree, fixing visitors with a stare; unfortunately Odin wasn’t around while I was there.

I agree the walk down to Loch Mallachie is worth doing; it was very still there and I took this picture of the reflections.

• SUE C  that is a fantastic photograph of reflections on loch mallachie. i have walked down there quite a few times. it is nice to sit looking out over the loch and look and think about the beauty of the place .. it is one of my favourite places in scotland. I think that is why MALLACHIE is my favourite osprey... many thanks SUE C  

• Thanks Sunshine but don’t expect a series of similar photos – if my photos are good, it’s by accident and that was the best one of the trip. I loved Loch Mallachie too for its stillness. A few years ago, before I became an osprey addict, I was given an RSPB virtual gift of a goldeneye nest box – so I’d like to imagine that “my” nestbox is on the island in Loch Mallachie.

I walked back to Boat of Garten for the bus, on the way crossing the Spey which may be one of Odin’s fishing spots.

I was staying in Aviemore at Ardlogie Guest House which I’d recommend, especially for people coming by public transport. It’s in a quiet road between the steam railway and the Spey, but only just over the railway bridge from mainline trains, buses to LG, the tourist office, shops and restaurants.

Next: the Rothiemurchus estate. 

• SueC another place that i liked to visit is LOCHINDORB... its just off the GRANTON-ON-SPEY   to  FORRES road. i have spent many happy hour there watching OSPREY  fishing and seeing BLACK THROATED DIVERS  . Also COMMON SANDPIPERS feeding at the edge of the water

• Lovely photographs, especially the one of the sign and how appropriate it is to this thread.

• Sue C wonderful photos and it is a few years since I have been to LG and you have brought back fond memories.  Thank you very much for this thread and is a realy good idea for anyone to talk about their experiences and visits to LG and the area as we will all be interested.  Now it makes me want to visit.