Osprey Chat Thread for March 2017

The great day has arrived where there are no more osprey free months for quite some time. It is a period of great excitement touched with melancholy, many old favourites will return but inevitably some will not.

At Loch Garten the big excitement will be to see EJ and Odin again. EJ will be 20 years old this year and now beginning to be a senior osprey. It will be her 9th year with Odin who is ageless. 

The question being asked at Loch of The Lowes is "will LF15 win the race to be first back again this year as last?" Although she does not know it she has at least one offspring (FR3) ready to make his first journey north this year.  That will be exciting.

The other early bird is Mrs G   at Glaslyn. However her partner Aran will is not an early bird and is not expected in March. That must be a relief to the garfish community. 

Monty and Glesni at Dyfi are not expected in March either but  people will be eagerly looking for Blue 24 and Dai Dot. 

There are fears for Dai Dot as he has not been seen since just after  he was evicted from nest ON5 in Wales.

At Manton Bay  Blue 33 and Maya are eagerly awaited. Will any of their 2015 chicks come back this year?

Then there is Kielder.  The big excitement there will be if UV makes it back and establishes a new nest. We know he is alive and well as there is a super secret party out there filming him in the last few days. They may be tempted to give him a lift home!

Then there is Bassenthwaite with their super osprey White 14. He did have an attempted at nesting last year.

Oh there are so many questions to be answered and the waiting is nearly over. 

You can all add your wishes for the season to the thread. 

• What a great 'summary' of what's whirring around in our heads, TIGER - thank you, it's especially valuable for anyone (!) whose memory has a lot of cracks for historic details to fall thru ;-)

There is such a lot to be wished for during the coming season, I'll keep it simple - please may all our on-cam couples return, safe and strong :-*

And it would be great to see returning youngsters - as long as they don't interfere too badly with the oldsters ;-)

IMAGICAT

• There's an awful lot I'm wishing for but the biggest wish must be for the 20-year-old EJ the Beautiful and her Magnificent mate to make it back and have another successful season.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Thanks for the new thread and the summary, Tiger.  I missed that White 14 made an attempt at nesting last year--can you tell us any more, please?  Was it anywhere near Bassenthwaite?  Saying 'an attempt' sounds like it was unsuccessful.  But if it is all secret, then never mind, I understand!

Kind regards, Ann

• A lovely start to March, Tiger, thank you.  There is indeed so much to look forward to, and each year that passes we hope for the return for a few more new birds.  Like Clare, I truly hope that EJ and Odin return.  My first nest, and despite the short comings, still my favourite.  Mrs G and Aran, and Maya and 33 are also on my hopefuls, but there are now so many I have come to know and follow with such love and enthusiasm - even if I do continue to get my facts wrong!

But it is also a time of much sadness, for we can be sure that some won't make it back.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• A great opening summary Tiger.    

While I wish for all our Ospreys to return safely and some youngsters too, my biggest wish as always is for EJ to return safely, as she is my first love!  

• SheilaFE said:
    But it is also a time of much sadness, for we can be sure that some won't make it back.

A watcher with experience! :) 

• scylla said:
    And it would be great to see returning youngsters - as long as they don't interfere too badly with the oldsters ;-)

Even a tracked youngster.  FR3 seems willing to  help. 

• Unknown said:

I missed that White 14 made an attempt at nesting last year--can you tell us any more, please?  Was it anywhere near Bassenthwaite?  Saying 'an attempt' sounds like it was unsuccessful.  But if it is all secret, then never mind, I understand!

I can't help with info about any nesting attempts last year for White 14, but I think you are right when you wondered whether he spent a lot of time in the Lakes.  I believe the Lake District Osprey Project were just careful about giving any specific location info, for the obvious reasons.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Thanks, Sheila, Understandable that some information is not revealed.  I do hope White 14 returns, he is a character.  It would be great if all the publicly known youngsters (FR3 and UV and any others) as well as the adults return, but as several have mentioned, we know some may not make it.  My favourites are Monty and Glesni, EJ and Odin, Maya and 33 and Mrs. Glaslyn and Aran.  Still missing 5R and Mr. Rutland.

Kind regards, Ann

• Thanks so much Tiger for the updates, such a lot to remember! I, like others so hope and pray that all the lovely couples return and give us fantastic viewing aging this year. Have to agree that my favourites are the Lady herself EJ and his highness Odin. Come home safe.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.