Daily Update - Sunday, August 2, 2009

OK. I'm here - where've the rest of you gone? Just kidding. Let's see how this goes. If it gets onerous, we can change it.. It's about 2 1/2 hours to first light at LG. Back then!

• Mallachie is home alone. Waiting patiently for some supper I think.

Make the most of today because, unlike Sky+, there isn't a rewind button.

• Rothes joined Mallachie about 15 mins ago. Both are now just standing, waiting....

• Both Rothes and Mallachie have left the nest. It's a beautiful evening at LG.

• I posted this on Facebook this evening with details of the day at LG:

At one point there were 7, yes 7 osprey in and around the nest. Two chicks on the nest, Rothes and two intruders in the camera tree and two more intruders circling above the nest - quite a sight!
    There was an intruder sitting on the nest for about 2 hours with Mallachie and Garten who were alarming calling at it most of the time. Garten did have one or two attempts to chase it off, but it soon came back again. Rothes, sitting in the camera tree seemed unaware of what was going on. All three chicks eventually moved off and the two intruders took over the nest - White TF and White AJ, there were aerial displays and attempts at mating!! Obviously getting in practice for the future. No sign of EJ or Odin today and no fish brought by the time we left about 6.30.

Any untagged birds you were seeing this afternoon were the intruders - and the one on the nest this morning seemed quite at home. I was thinking of you all trying to work out who it was and getting confused.......

• And finally....supper is served! Dad finally arrives with a fish and there's a minor squabble over who gets it. Can't make out who did in the end but I hope they share.

• Hi Cirrus

I have always been torn between backpack/no backpack...but it is a great way to  learn about Osprey behaviour and what happens to them when away from 'Home'.

Where is Stuart's photo of Garten?

"Birds of a Feather".... ~( :o )

• i think there has just been a fish delivery. didn;t see it but chicks seemed to be squabbling then one was mantling then tucking into fish.

• On page 4 or 5 - not sure. So scroll down to the very bottom of the Daily Update page and then click on the page number (1 2 3 4 5) in blue

• Maureen, I'll post it again just for you ! Taken at LG on Wednesday when I was working there as a volunteer for the week.

• Rothes, i think, who ate the fish flew off followed quickly by Garten. Mallachie had a quick look round to see if there was anything left then has also flown off.