• The online poll to decide whether 3J gets a name ends tonight.  Looks like most people are in favour - I'm looking forward to hearing what they decide (and, yes, whether I can say it!).

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Hi Clare. Technically, 3J's from Rutland, isn't she? So they could pick an English name. But it might be a good idea to suggest 3 or 4 possibilities and have another poll. Then at least some people would be happy!

• Glesni and Nora were also from Rutland.  Nora was named rather accidentally!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Clare Bailey said:

Nora was named rather accidentally!

Some discussion around the circumstances of that on Facebook yesterday!  

• Evening, All, Thanks for all the pics and posts.  My live streaming was completely fine until they started to fix it!

Regarding naming 3J, I've posted this thought on a couple of threads and no one commented, possibly because they thought the idea so dire that they felt it best to ignore it or, more likely (as it was near the bottom of the page in the one instance) no one saw it!  In any event, I'll put it up again, not that I have any stake in its being adopted, but simply to induce discussion.  Apologies to those who prefer not to name the Ospreys at all--I do understand why some centres name their Ospreys and some do not, but naming does make the birds more accessible to many, especially children.  Here 'tis:

Perhaps 3J should have 3 names (each preferably beginning with the sound of the letter  'J'!)--one Welsh to note her current nest and mate, Monty, one English to mark her heritage, descended from the wonderful Mr. Rutland and his mate and from their son, 5R, and his mate, Maya, the current Queen of Manton Bay, and one Senegalese, to mark the financial contribution and inspiration from the harpist duo who performed in the 360 Observatory last week.  Any thoughts?

Kind regards, Ann

• Hi Ann, I think 3 names could be a bit confusing. I can just about remember who's who (and who's where) when they just have the one name! lol

• lol, Sandra! Yes, I know, it is very easy to  get confused over all the different individuals and keeping clear about who is from where!  I should also have explained that the 3 names would be similar to those given to pure breed and thoroughbred animals as an official moniker, while one name or a shortened name or even a completely different name is in use for every day purposes for such royal creatures!  In any event, I expect you need not worry!  3J will most likely only be given one name by the people at DYFI!  However, she may be given a Welsh name.  Glesni was given a Welsh name despite not being a Welsh bird but they only give the names of Welsh rivers and lakes to Welsh-hatched Ospreys.

Kind regards, Ann

• ===============

THREAD CLOSED

===============

Link to new thread - Dyfi Osprey Project – May 2018