DAILY UPDATE ~ Loch Garten nest ~ Friday, 23 March 2018

Her Royal Minxness kept us waiting yesterday, whiling away the time with a fish under the nest.

Photo courtesy of RSPB LG Facebook.

No reports of any other osprey in the immediate area, but EJ is concentrating on readying the nest - she's looking very eager to get on with her mission.

Photo courtesy of BirdieNumNum

IMAGICAT

• Hi Karen,

I absolutely loved it but was so disappointed it had all gone so horribly wrong for poor EJ. I will be there again this year 30th june for a week (volunteered immediately I got home) Volunteers are put up in these lovely self catering wooden houses with the centre staff, two volunteers to each hut with one staff member. We all take turns in pairs to do shifts on osprey watch down in the forward hide, 06:00-13:00 13:00-22:00 and 22:00-0600. Logging every thing observed whilst 'on duty' in between time we work in the centre talking to the public visitors (something I honestly avoided regards Osprey last year but happy on other birds) it's the best type of working holiday you could have. You need to volunteer by end November and should hear sometime in the new year if you've been successful. I think they must get a lot of people apply. :)

Gilli

• CRinger thank you so much for the most comprehensive reply. I am now very happily reassured EJ will find a mate and also Lassie over at the Lowes as she seems so lonely sat waiting for her fella to turn up, I was starting to think she was also going to end up on the shelf this year. Looks like I should have the pleasure of watching chicks being reared on my stint at LG after all this year. :D

Gilli

• Off back to work now but will be sneaking peeks at my iphone throughout my shift. Cheery bye guys.

Gilli

• How lovely to see you posting again CRinger.  I hope all is well with you, welcome back!

I seem to have lost the cam at the moment - neither Carnyx nor VLC is working for me.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Look back Sheila. Working on cameras.

• CRinger said:
    ... first post for a wee while.

You've obviously been spending all your time honing your understatement skills, CRinger !!! ;-)

If your ears have been burning, that's because a number of us have been "wondering aloud" about you, and hoping that all is well with you.  Welcome back! :)

Nap time here.

IMAGICAT

• CRinger thank you so much for the most comprehensive reply. I am now very happily reassured EJ will find a mate and also Lassie over at the Lowes as she seems so lonely sat waiting for her fella to turn up, I was starting to think she was also going to end up on the shelf this year. Looks like I should have the pleasure of watching chicks being reared on my stint at LG after all this year. :D

No problem - I forgot to add that there is evidence that 3 and 4 year old males for a number of years have returned to Africa without breeding having failed to find a suitable nest or female from this area. Male ospreys tend to like to breed close to the nest where they hatched - so Speyside may have reached, or be very close to its 'carrying capacity' of nest sites / fishing availability. I am a little concerned that she will have too MANY suitors and they will spend so much time fighting each other that by the time one becomes established it may be too late to breed - see the history of this particular nest in Tiger & Chloe's comprehensive file of proceedings from previous years - 2001 springs to mind when there was a fight as I remember between about 5 males and this scenario was sadly played out.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• The camera is not yet back up, as it is now past 18.00 I wonder if they are still working on the zoom etc. as reported earlier or will it now be down for the weekend. Ian

• There was a cable damaged while they removed the other camera, this is due to be repaired tomorrow lunchtime. Unfortunately we will be without a live picture until then.

• Thank you Peter for keeping us in the loop, these things happen.  Which is the 'other' camera?

I hope some one at LG will update us if there is any 'action'!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/