Hello everyone! My name is Fergus, and I am lucky enough to be let loose on the blog to recount to you the intriguing goings-on of the Ospreys and the RSPB Abernethy reserve.  This is my first season at Loch Garten and my first position in my chosen field since graduating university.

I first became interested in Abernethy during my time studying zoology in Aberdeen. The stories of the last remnant woodland holding an abundance of rare species is a biological mecca for every zoologist! My pilgrimage however, was not particularly difficult or very far.  I am from Edinburgh originally, which is only 127 miles from Loch Garten. The species that you find in the central belt are not nearly as unique as those in the Highlands, but have still given me some of my greatest wildlife memories. My first sighting of Puffins was sailing out to the Bass rock close to Edinburgh and coming across cunning urban Foxes on my way home from the library (pub) was always a pleasure when living in the city.

Unlike some of my esteemed colleagues, birds are not my immediate calling. I like trees. Specifically ancient Caledonian ones, but I’m not fussy.  When I was given the chance to work in the forest all summer, I couldn’t wait! Don’t get me wrong, the opportunity of working with Ospreys was also pretty cool.  In my short time here I have already seen a Crested Tit momentarily perch on the side of the Osprey nest, heard the echoing pops of a Capercaillie displaying in dense woodland and witnessed Odin see-off a persistent murder of Crows. I can’t wait to see what the next 3 months have in store for us this season.

It is a pleasure and an honour to be part of the osprey team. I am glad to be telling a chapter in the story of the Loch Garten ospreys. If you see me in the centre, I will be the one pointing out the beautiful pines around the eyrie, come say hello. 

As for the latest news, 7 of the 13 golden eye eggs have successfully hatched and have made their perilous journey to the waters of Loch Garten. We were delighted to watch the ducklings on the nest box cam throughout the day on Sunday but unfortunately missed their "jump for freedom" as this happened early yesterday morning. This was followed by a 300 meter dash through thick woodland heather and across the road but it was a lovely warm day and it looks like they all made it safely; we have since witnessed a proud Goldeneye Mum on Loch Garten with 7 ducklings in her wake.

Newly hatched Goldeneye ducklings!                                                                                                                               First outing on the water.

Our osprey chicks are looking more and more like ospreys every day and Odin is keeping everyone well fed on large trout! My calls for the chicks to be named David and Goliath have been rebutted by almost everybody but not to worry. David is still getting enough food even though he (it) is the smaller of the two. With all the lovely weather we have been having we often see the disappearance of EJ to go for a dip in Loch Mallachie, arriving back with dripping belly feathers. We have also been observing the cooling pants (pants like a dog, not like underwear) of our osprey chicks as they attempt to dissipate their body heat in the hot Scottish sun!

We have been regularly seeing two squirrel kits around the kiosk playing and learning how to climb trees around the centre. The squirrel drey was located by one of our lovely visitors and we all revel in showing people how to find it at the kiosk! They appear to be healthy and regularly put on quite a show as they jump acrobatically between the Birches and Pines. Make sure you ask whoever is in the kiosk to point out the drey as you enter. If you're lucky, the young squirrels may even be munching on the peanuts from the feeder so keep your eyes peeled!

To finish, I'll leave you with an amazing picture taken by our fantastic Retail Manager here at Loch Garten, Julie Quirie. An expert on Ospreys, Optics and Odonata!

A Glorious Four-spotted Chaser enjoying the sun!

Site Manager (People), RSPB Abernethy National Nature Reserve