It is with a mixture of sadness and pride that I bring you the news that Tore, our oldest chick has left Loch Garten and begun her migration south. The latest satellite information we have is that she has flown all the way to Holyhead in North Wales. Tore was last seen at the nest site at 9.27 on Wednesday morning, when she flew off with a fish.

So what of the others? Well, Bynack is still here; I’ve just seen him. He’s sitting on a tree behind the nest finishing off a fish brought by EJ this morning. Odin hasn’t been seen since Wednesday evening, so we fear he may have gone too.

As mentioned above, EJ brought a fish to the nest this morning, which Bynack helped himself to. She then flirted around the nest for a short while, before removing a clump of moss, and flying off out of sight. Our volunteer Loraine later reported seeing her circling and gaining height, before flying, with purpose, away to the south.

After Abbi’s faux pas earlier in the week, I’m not jumping to any conclusions, but it appears that we may only have one osprey left. Bynack certainly cuts quite a lonely figure sat on that dead tree. If both his parents have gone, how much longer will he stay before he realises he is no longer going to be fed....?