Kieren, the island's warden, has done an incredible job over the past weeks to re-instate the protection of the island while literally fighting the elements in all weathers. He has been supported by a very hardworking digger driver and different groups of volunteers and the riverbank and the banks between the lagoons look like they are mostly back into working shape by now.

The December flood leaves visible changes to the island and some will effect the human visitors much more then the visiting and resident wildlife, because our old, spacious Visitor Centre didn't look very well after it had been lifted up and shifted by all the water.

Last week, Kevin Sawford, one of our Days of Discovery Photography Tutors, a handful of enthusiastic young volunteers and I helped with the flood clean-up on one of the brighter days this month. Lucky us: we had picked a dry and mild day and it started raining only when we arrived back at Orford Quay.

We fulfilled the sad task to collect the leftovers from the demolished Visilor Centre building and gathered a huge heap of broken timber on the lawn.

I didn't make photos that day, but Kevin has uploaded a long post on his website which is illustrated with his fantastic images - including some new hare pictures of course - and because I couldn't tell it better, please enjoy reading his version of our story: www.kevinsawford.com/havergate-island-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/