Remember when you used to come in from outside with a muddy nose after an absentminded scratch, with grass stained knees and a huge grin on your face? That’s one of our favourite sights at Coombes.

Getting children excited about nature is a huge part of what Lucy and I spend our time on, not just with events but on a day to day basis. After all, it was such a huge part of our own childhoods we can’t help but find it important. So though we love a chinwag, (plenty of visitors coming in for a coffee end up on our sofa chatting for twenty minutes or more) when it comes to kids what we love is to set them missions.

Caught by Amy, taken by Lucy Hodson

Our favourites are insect challenges. In the information centre we have a stash of bug catchers; small plastic pots with two tubes coming out of the lid, one with a vented stopper and one without. The challenge is to suck a creepy crawly up the tubes and into the pot, thankfully the stopper is there to prevents any extra protein snacks.

Generally there is one of two reactions; wide-eyed disbelief or unbounded excitement but regardless of that initial feeling, all those kids come back buzzing.

I was set the same task at school and a friend dared me to catch a huge spider from a nearby bush. It was terrifying but I still remember the hollow clunking sound when it hit the side of the pot, my ears were ringing and I was filled with adrenaline. I was absolutely triumphant.

The bugs caught by the children get put in a magnifying pot and we do our best to identify them, but it’s the catching which gets them up close and personal with nature and gets them so excited. The best bit is that it’s something you can do at home.

Wild in the bluebells, RSPB images

If you want a bug pot you can find them on the internet, but whether you put them in a jam jar or hold them in the palm of your hand creepy crawlies are all around you and are an incredible way to get kids to engage with nature. You can even read our blog on simple moth traps here: http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/placestovisit/coombeschurnet/b/coombeschurnet-blog/archive/2014/04/18/recent-sightings-the-moth-diaries.aspx to give them a past-bedtime treat!

If you want to get out into the woods this half term our Wildlife Detective Trail starts on Saturday and will be running all week. Follow the clues around the reserve to find all sorts of creatures in their natural habitats; they’ll spell out the name of one of the most exciting insects here at Coombes. If you bring us the answer you’ll find a prize waiting for you in the information centre.

The Wildlife Detective Trail runs Saturday 24th May – Sunday 1st June, 10:00am – 4:00pm. £3 per child, includes car-parking charge, 20% discount to RSPB members. Accompanying adults free. No Booking required.