Feeling festive? Here are 12 ways to enjoy 12 days of Christmas countdown... Ready?

Holly, Andy Hay (rspb-images.com)

1. The holly, the ivy and the mistletoe

Now’s the time to deck our halls with this triumvirate of festive foliage - but if you’re out gathering it, be sure to leave plenty behind for the wildlife. All of these evergreens play an important role in supporting birds in winter. Red holly berries provide a snack for many birds, especially those from the thrush and finch families, plus goldcrests, robins, dunnocks and more. They seek out winter-fruiting ivy berries too, while a good thick growth can also provide shelter from the elements for overwintering insects and chilly sparrows and wrens. Mistletoe, meanwhile, has a business associate in the mistle thrush, on which it depends for the dispersal of its seeds among the branches of host trees. 

2. My True Love Sent to Me: Two Turtle Doves…

The Twelve Days of Christmas includes a roll-call of once-common birdlife… but you are much more likely to hear this 1780 carol being sung at Christmas than you will the wonderful purr of the turtle dove in summer; UK numbers have fallen a massive 97% since 1970. If you have any unwanted cashmere jumpers, you can make a difference this Christmas by sending these to Turtle Doves Ltd. Check out the offer here – for every 100% cashmere jumper they receive, they will donate £5 towards Turtle dove conservation and as a “thank you” they will also give you a £5 voucher to spend on their RSPB collection.

Robin, Richard Brooks (rspb-images.com)

3. Robins 

Here’s our little Christmas icon and the nation’s favourite bird - perhaps because he keeps us entertained all year round with a gorgeous song, often belted out while it’s still dark. Robins sing through winter to defend their territories and can launch into their even more upbeat spring song as early as mid December. So listen out now for a bit of Christmas cheer from the finest pair of lungs in the garden! Our RSPB Shop is full of robin-themed gifts, decorations and cards, too, so why not work this little redbreast into your Christmas shopping list?

4. Make a nature wreath 

Talking of decking the halls, here’s how to make your own nature wreath. Head out with a pair of stout scissors or secateurs and snip off any overgrown bits of evergreen foliage from your garden or neighbourhood. Suitable boughs of laurel, bay, fir, pine and ivy will all work well. You can see stripped willow shoots into a hoop, or buy a ready-made hoop, then just poke your foliage through. Add found feathers and maybe even a nature-friendly decoration like the one here

5. Pin badges - stocking fillers to help nature

Every time I visit an RSPB hotspot, I get a bit excited about the pin badges. I love rummaging through the box, picking out my favourite animals or the highlight of that particular visit as a memento of the day. But if you’re flat out Christmas shopping and can’t get to a nature reserve until after Christmas, our eBay shop stocks a wide range that will make handy last-minute stocking fillers - or thoughtful gifts to distribute to a group or club. And of course all proceeds help the RSPB help nature. 

6. Take a winter walk

Aargh! The glittering lights and excited crowds can get a bit much as the season hots up. Luckily, nature offers the perfect antidote - there you can embrace the wild weather,  blow away the cobwebs and escape the hordes. As my mum always said, “there’s no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing!” so rug up warm and head out to your nearest nature reserve to soak up the seasonal sights, from winter geese to waxwings and redwings, colourful berries and even winter fungus. f you’d prefer some like-minded company and expertise, you might be able to join a guided group walk around an RSPB reserve or other hotspot.  Either way, you can warm up with a cosy cuppa and slice of cake at one of our fantastic reserve cafes

7. Sort those last-minute gifts

Another way to beat the high-street hordes is to shop online. Encourage an appreciation of nature among your friends and family by browsing the RSPB Shop. Orders received by 3pm on weekdays are despatched the same day, so here’s still time!

Redwing, Richard Brooks (rspb-images.com)

8. Spot redwings and fieldfares

These winter visitors flock to our farmland from Scandinavia when things get too chilly over there.  Both the  redwing and fieldfare are Red-Listed members of the thrush family, both roam our rural fields and hedgerows in search of berries and worms, sometimes both species together, so it’s no surprise they are often confused with each other.  If you see any sort of thrush in a rural setting, take a closer look to see whether it could be one of these two visitors. You may not even have to venture far from home -  I spotted a redwing in my local park one winter! 

9 Make a snug-as-a-bug hibernaculum

While we’re snuggled up indoors, enjoying some hygge and festive cheer, life is much less comfortable at this time of year for the wildlife on our doorsteps. They are in dire need of shelter from the elements; for them it can be the difference between life or death. So this year, give them the gift of shelter. There are lots of ways, from building a bug hotel to offering a toad a hibernaculum for the winter. Download more simple ideas here. They’ll repay you next summer by eating all your garden pests. 

10  Make pine-cone decorations for your tree 

While you’re out on your winter walk, look out for pine cones. Those of you with resident or visiting children can have a brilliant time turning them into fun, eco-friendly tree decorations. Use felt, ribbon, lace, paint, fabric scraps, anything you can find, for zero-waste, upcycled, biodegradable decorations… and hours of fun! 

11. Enjoy blooming winter woodland

It’s the deep midwinter, and everything’s dormant… or is it? If you go down to the woods today, you might find a verdant plant surprise. Hart’s tongue fern is firm, waxy and vibrant green, poking skyward from shady woodland floors, while gorse bushes sprout crowns of gold. After a mild spell you might also find early primroses or snowdrops.  

Starlings, Colin Wilkinson (rspb-images.com)

12. Mark midwinter with a solstice walk 

Celebrate the shortest day of the year on Thursday, 21 December with a midwinter wander. Why not enjoy the chance of a starling murmuration? The birds gather at dusk (so about mid-afternoon on this day), swirling mesmerically through the sky before they come down to roost, and this is one of winter’s most uplifting and unforgettable sights. Try one of these RSPB reserves to enjoy the spectacle.

Why not make it an advent calendar?

The RSPB's Wildlife Gardening expert, Adrian Thomas, has 12 more ways to help wildlife in your own garden during December... click here to complete your 24-day advent countdown!