Crawling, creeping, fluttering and skittering. The walls, the curtains, the floor – my house comes alive at night. I’ve been documenting these creatures of the dark, these Night Crawlers for a few months now, and keeping track of their movements… All the following images were taken on the same night.

Subject 1 – Volucella inanis, hornet mimic hoverfly

Photo: Jack Plumb

A nest of wasps in the roof cavity enticed this Night Crawler in. The larvae of this hoverfly predate wasp larvae in the nest – a predatory imposter, seen here having a snooze. Come morning it will be gone. 

Subject 2 – Arion vulgaris, Spanish slug

This bruiser silently slid its way in, expecting to get away with its infiltration. It didn’t cover its tracks well enough and got evicted before it could settle in for the night.

Subject 3 – Pholcus phalangioides, cellar spider

These Night Crawlers are everywhere, and multiplying at an incredible rate. Luckily, they keep to themselves in the corners of rooms, deterring bigger spiders and keeping mosquitos at bay.

Subject 4 – Melolontha melolontha, cockchafer

Sleeping soundly in a grim-looking tomb, this Night Crawler was caught in a flash of red light so not to disturb it from its deathly slumber. How it got in unnoticed is a mystery, as subtlety is not its craft.

Subject 5 – Carabidae, ground beetle

I couldn’t identify this prowler, so if you’ve seen any Night Crawlers like this or know this subject, email natureshome@rspb.org.uk

Look out for more Night Crawler updates, coming soon.

Jack