Phew! I hope you've been getting out in this hot weather. I know I have, as you've got to make the most of it before the British summer hits. Sticking to my word and hunting down some damselflies and dragonflies, I thought I'd head out to a very local reserve last weekend. RSPB Fowlmere in Cambridgeshire is just down the road from me, a measly 10 miles, so in stunning weather there really was no excuse not to visit.

If I'm honest, I was making the trip to Fowlmere to see turtle doves. It's probably the best place to see them near me, and as such an important and current species for the RSPB and conservation generally right now, I felt I had to see one while they're purring. Danny claimed we were guaranteed to see them at Fowlmere, and sometimes he knows what he's talking about.

Reed warblers from the first hide – probably the only time I've had a completely unobscured view of a warbler (Photo: Jack Plumb)

What better way is there to travel through the great British countryside than on a bike? At 10 miles away, I felt cycling to Fowlmere would go some way towards my training for an event later in the year, and of course you've gotta put your money where your mouth is if you work for the environment. I highly recommend wildlife by bike. On the way there and on the way back we saw several things you just otherwise wouldn't have noticed. At the top of a tree a short distance from the reserve, a corn bunting was blaring out its high-pitched football rattle call, and just by my house on the way back there was a special family moment.

Everyone's favourite neighbours in Grantchester (Photo: Jack Plumb)

Most of the wildlife treats were to be had on the reserve itself though. The two chipper volunteers on duty were keen to help point out on a map where to find what we were after, and had had some great sightings themselves on that blistering Sunday. Several turtle doves, all male apparently, were about on the reserve. The water voles were there, as usual – you could hardly blame them wanting to bath in the crystal clear water on a hot day. And finally a bit of a new one for me from a wildlife watching perspective, trout.

Super hi-tech shot of a trout – I'm available for photography work, including weddings (Photo: Jack Plumb)

We saw it all, and then some. Two turtle doves, purring away, happy to give us some great views – mission accomplished as far I was concerned. Several trout, suspended in the lazy current of the beautiful natural chalk spring-fed stream. Bizarrely good views of two reed warblers from the first hide, and a hairy dragonfly on the walkway. A kingfisher darted across the open water from the second hide (which is a 360 degree view tower on stilts – well worth looking out from), and a Cetti's warbler went out on a high and stayed for an encore.

A fine view to end the day with – thanks Fowlmere! (Photo: Jack Plumb)

The little reserve packed a lot in, and I felt a bit ashamed I'd never been before. I'll be going again soon, and I'm already looking forward to how the reserve changes with the seasons. Plus there was a great looking pub about halfway. Who's up for a cycle?

Jack