As far as job benefits go, having unfettered access to a nature reserve must rank pretty highly. It’s certainly something I’d put a high value on, as I’ve found it helps a lot with stress or with helping me gather my thoughts. I walk almost every lunchtime; sometimes just meandering around the reserve for some fresh air and a screen break. But sometimes there’s an objective to the walk.

News comes weekly of what’s been seen on the reserve via the wildlife sightings summary email. A couple of weeks ago, my interest piqued at reading little owls had been seen roosting in the nearby working quarry, just over the road from The Lodge.

Wildlife is better with friends, so a crack team was assembled to attempt to see the owls in our 45-minute lunch break. It was going to be tough, as the walk itself was 20 each way. Spotting football sized, motionless balls of feathery fluff amongst the rocks they’re so well camouflaged against was going to be tough in 5 minutes, but the gang were up for the challenge.

The wild-bunch, ready for an 'owling good time (left to right: Alice, Danny, Catie, me!) (Photo: Jack Plumb)

Everyone had warmed-up and done their stretches, and we were ready to set off at pace. We stormed down the drive, taking no time to look at the feeders by the shop, even though Danny year-ticked his bogey-bird – and bogey coloured – greenfinch. Over the road and onto the less often walked part of what the RSPB owns at Sandy. No resident stonechat this time, and we couldn’t spare the time to wait for it. 20 yellowhammers loft overheard. Lovely, but not what we’re power walking for. At last, the gate across the quarry road, then up to a viewing point of the whole quarry.

Scanning... (Photo: Jack Plumb)

Scan, scan, scan. They must be here somewhere. Four pairs of binoculars searching for little owls was turning up nothing. Suddenly…

“I think I’ve got them!” said Alice.

I'm pretty happy about seeing the owls... Well spotted, Alice! (Photo: Catie Krasner)

Soon enough we all had them firmly in out sights. Two speckled rocks by the side of the track, sleeping soundly. The little bundles were a joy to see. I’d never actually seen a little owl before, and neither had Alice or Catie.

Can you spot them in this image? (Photo: Catie Krasner)

Here's a closer look... (Photo: Catie Krasner)

“I might have to run back for my meeting at 1,” said Danny.

We’d overdone it a bit, and not kept time particularly well. I won’t say how well, as I’m sure everyone made up the time in the afternoon.

Jack