• Springwatch home alone

So, day one of Springwatch ‘home alone’ as my girlfriend, Laura spends the week at RSPB Ynys-hir helping out behind the scenes of the show. I watched the live broadcast on BBC2, particularly impressed with the underground mole footage and the people with 11 young foxes in their garden.

So, having made myself the sort of ‘man home alone’ dinner that would have made Laura wince, and inspired by the show, it…

• Abandoned for Springwatch

Springwatch is almost here and I'm being left home alone next week as my girlfriend swaps my stimulating company for the delights of RSPB Ynys-hir in Wales - the home of Springwatch.

Part of Laura's job, as RSPB PR Project Manager, is to work with the BBC and to help things run smoothly for the annual TV extravaganza.

I know that lots of Birds readers enjoyed the 'Springwatch -  behind the scenes' feature in…

• The perfect penguin substitute – puffins!

Charlotte is Birds magazine’s Advertising Manager. She also loves her wildlife and I’ve been helping her plan a trip to see puffins in recent weeks. Here’s how she got on...

My love of penguins causes me to read book upon book and watch every TV show about them, while talking non-stop about them to anyone who will listen. However this is not an animal that you can easily go and see in their natural…