This week, I have been wrenched away from my normal context and been immersed in a completely different environment - the UK Overseas Territories in the Caribbean. 

My first stop has been to Cayman Islands – a cluster of three islands renowned for finance and tourism but also of huge nature conservation significance with large tracks of intact natural habitat (including mangroves, dry forest and coast) which provide homes for many endemic species and sub-species, such as the Cayman parrot and Cayman blue/rock iguanas (whose nesting habitat is shown below). 

As well as visiting some fabulous wildlife sites, it’s been an opportunity to understand the nature conservation challenge on the islands.

A couple of years ago, the RSPB published a report on progress made in environmental governance on UK Overseas Territories between 2012 and 2015.  Its purpose was to assess whether governments had the necessary measures in place to fulfil its environmental obligations especially for protected areas (on land and sea), for species and for standards in the permitting of development.

In this assessment, the Cayman Islands performed well - especially because of the establishment of the long-awaited Cayman National Conservation Law.  It’s clear that there has been huge political and public support for getting this through.  So, it was a pleasure to meet the key people responsible for making this happen including the Minister Wayne Panton (seen below with the RSPB’s lead in the Caribbean, Elizabeth Radford), through to the officials in the Department of Environment and the members of the National Trust for the Cayman Islands (our partner on these islands).

Having had a whistle-stop tour of two of the islands (Grand and Little Cayman), it’s hard to ignore the huge significance of this law.  It will, for example, pave the way for new terrestrial protected area designations to get close to its commitment for at least 17% of land to be well managed for nature by 2020 (in line with the CBD commitment of Aichi target 11) – currently just 3-5% of the archipelago is protected. 

Crucially, the Cayman Government has provided the necessary funding through a travel tax whose revenue is hypothecated (through an Environmental Protection Fund) for acquiring and managing protected areas.  We are keen to promote this form of innovative finance across the Caribbean and indeed elsewhere around the world as the gap between conservation need and available finance is large, including of course the UK.

A push on designated protected areas is much needed and, while not without some local controversy, the new conservation law received unanimous support when passing through the Cayman Parliament and so it is hoped that the imminent elections will not derail this fresh conservation endeavour.

The conservation community of the islands is fully aware of the urgency of and its responsibility for stepping up its efforts – the threats from development and non-native invasive species (especially from cats, rats and the green iguana which are threatening the two native iguanas – blue and rock) are clearly growing. 

As I also expect to see later in the week in Turks and Caicos, targeted funding from the UK Government through the Darwin Plus Fund can also make a big difference.  For example, this is helping to pay for tracking the red-footed booby population on Little Cayman (as shown below) to understand its feeding range with a view to identifying marine protected areas far offshore (to complement the existing coastal MPAs).  A little funding can go a long way on these islands and it is great that the UK Government continues to support conservation efforts on the UKOTs.  

I leave knowing that nature on the Cayman Islands is amazing, that it’s in serious trouble but I have confidence that the people working together have a chance to save it.  That's why the RSPB will continue to do what we can to support our partners to keep Cayman special.

• Doing a terrific job Martin. As you say a little funding can go a long way in the OTs, further than in the U.K. Itself, any way. If the RSPB/Birdlife International does not lead the way in protecting and saving OUR threatened wildlife in the Overseas Territoris then no one will and that would be a terrible tragedy. Keep up this great work RSPB.