2015 - it feels like a big year.  There's an election around the corner and, by the end of the year, we'll know the fate of wildlife sites such as Lodge Hill, the future of the EU Nature Directives and whether we'll have a global climate change deal.

It is a year that is crying out for good decisions.  

So, my resolution for the year is simple - make and demand better decisions for nature.

During the break, on the recommendation of a colleague, I read Thomas Seeley's excellent book 'Honeybee Democracy'.  Through a series of studies Professor Seeley reveals how honeybee swarms decide where to establish a new colony for their new queen.   It is a fascinating insight into honeybee decision-making in which thousands of bees take part in what looks like a democratic debate to choose their new home.  Scouts advertise their nest site preferences with 'waggle dances' and debates rage for hours or even days. Once a decision is made, the swarm sets off for their new home.

We'll have our fair share of waggle dancing from politicians when the election campaign kicks off - each of the parties courting our vote by offering their vision and plans for the country.  As they make their case, I also hope the leaders take note of Bob who, with his growing band of followers, will be waggle dancing for nature.  The manifestos are important but so are the decisions that the incoming government makes - when faced with a crisis or an opportunity.  

Not a bee, but an adult female Bee-eater at a nest hole, Bishop Middleham Durham Wildlife Trust reserve, taken by Andy Hay a decade ago

The new cabinet could do well by taking a few tips from the bees.  At the end of 'Honeybee Democracy' (which I would encourage you to read), Professor Seeley uses the honeybee experiences to propose some principles of good group decision-making...

...compose the decision-making group of individuals with shared interest and mutual respect i.e. gather people together who have shared values and a common ambition.  

...minimise the leader's influence on the group's thinking - the queen bee has no say in the decision-making process and any Prime Minister should be humble enough to admit that they may not have all the answers

...seek diverse solutions to the problem i.e. being led by dogma rarely delivers good outcomes

...aggregate the group's knowledge through debate i.e. be broad minded and if the information changes, be prepared to adapt

...use quorate responses for cohesion, accuracy and speed i.e. follow the 80:20 rule rather than obsessively search for consensus

I'd add a sixth - have regard to the health of the planet.  A small thing, but it's amazing how easily politicians neglect this simple rule.   I am sure the bees would approve.

In 2015, the RSPB will also need to make some big decisions and I think the honeybee lessons can serve us well as we seek to decide...

...which of the many threatened species we should invest finite resources to aid their recovery

...how to optimise and grow the wildlife value of land that we own and manage

...how to generate greater support for the RSPB and for nature conservation

...how to prevent the EU Nature Directives being weakened

...how to encourage our elected leaders to deliver a fair, ambitious binding global deal to tackle climate change

...how to respond to development decisions such as the one ministers will need to make about housing development at Lodge Hill

We'll be guided by a desire to do whatever nature needs.   I would be surprised if we receive universal acclaim for the decisions we make but the ultimate test of the quality of our decisions will what happens to populations of species on and off our reserves.

Whatever you decide to do this year, make sure that you spend time looking at wildlife - bees, birds or bluebells - it will inspire you, I promise.  

Have a great 2015.

To get you in the mood for the year ahead, here is a great picture of starlings beginning their murmuration  at RSPB Otmoor taken by my colleague Colin Wilkinson.