At the launch of Canvey Wick - branded as Britain's first reserve for bugs - I found myself reflecting on all the heroic deeds it takes to save a site for nature... 

...the expertise of local naturalists that identified the importance of the site

...the campaign led by Matt Shardlow, his Buglife team and the local community to protect the site from development

...the pioneering role of English Nature (now Natural England) staff in notifying the site as a SSSI

...the efforts of local councilors and local wildlife groups in harnessing community support before ownership was secured by the Land Trust and Buglife and RSPB took on shared responsibility for management.

I was glad that Steve Backshall was there to cut the ribbon, show off some moths (if not his dancing skills) and engage a packed marquee about the wonders of the site - home to over 1500 invertebrates.

So many special places for wildlife across the country have similar histories - wonderful places loved by local people, threatened by development, but saved due to heroic deeds. Places like Sydenham Hill Wood (over which my old flat in London looked), Rainham Marshes, and Oxleas Wood have, at various stages in their history, been contested land.  But, through determination, passion and smart campaigns these sites were saved.

And as I wandered to the edge of Canvey Island with our site manager,  I couldn't help but think about the other side of the Thames and Lodge Hill in north Kent.  Another special site for wildlife and now under severe threat of development.  The good news is that over 7,000 people have now written to the Secretary of State Eric Pickles to urge him to 'call-in' the decision by Medway Council to approve outline planning for 5,000 houses on this SSSI.  The local campaign is growing and, if you have not done so already, please do join in here.

Heroism comes in all shapes and sizes.  Modern nature conservation requires dedicated campaigners like the Friends of North Kent Marshes who have seen off two airport proposals.  We need figureheads like Steve Backshall to bring to life the wonders of the natural world and we need more people to do their bit - whether writing to politicians or joining the Climate March on Sunday.  The efforts add up.

And finally, we need modern-day equivalents of Samuel Pepys - not diarists (or bloggers - there are enough of them) - but excellent administrators.  Pepys, famed for his diary, is less well known for helping to grow the British navy through his extraordinary administrative skills.  In this increasingly complex world where change seems a constant, we should be celebrating the heroic modern-day administrators who harness the skills of dedicated campaigners and grow the impact of the nature conservation community.