In an interview with The Times this weekend, the Environment Secretary, Owen Paterson, revealed his interest in establishing a scheme to offer planners the power to “offset” large infrastructure projects that harm wildlife populations.  This is by no means a new idea, but is obviously attractive to Mr Paterson as he looks to reconcile his twin objectives of supporting rural growth while improving the natural environment.  The prospect of exploring new ways to finance conservation projects is to be welcomed, but I thought I should offer a few words of caution. 

Interest in conservation credits/biodiversity offsetting/habitat banking has grown in recent years. In 2009, the then Shadow Environment Secretary, Nick Herbert proposed a system of conservation credits. This proposal was backed by David Cameron and following the election it was one of the eye-catching proposals in the Natural Environment White Paper.  Six pilot projects have since been established to explore the concept.

This surge in interest is unsurprising.  The economic crisis and political desire for economic growth has forced policy makers to explore new ways of enabling development and funding nature conservation. 

Yet, at its heart, the principle of creating compensatory habitat for damage caused elsewhere has been around for decades.  It is even enshrined in law through the EU Nature Directives.  If developers are able to pass the tests set out in the directives (showing that where a development adversely affects a protected site/species, there are no alternative more environmentally benign ways of meeting the project's objective and that there are imperative reasons of overriding public interest for the development to proceed) then the developer is obliged to provide compensatory habitat to cover the damage that has been caused.  Experience suggests that between 3 and 10 times the amount of habitat lost is required to replace extent and functional quality.  Current guidance is that this new habitat needs to be in place prior to the development taking place.

In our 2010 report on how we would finance nature conservation in an age of austerity, we dedicated a chapter to the principle of offsetting.  We recognised that there was then no system for offsetting damage to sites or species which were not covered by the EU Nature Directives and we were supportive of the principle of piloting the concept.  Our conclusion was that "A strong biodiversity offset market has the potential to reduce environmental damage from development, simplify the planning system and increase funding for conservation. Likely funding raised is £53 million a year."

Yet, all the experience from similar schemes around the world suggests that we shall need a well regulated, mandatory national system with national standards which apply only to non-designated land.  Without clear rules the obvious danger is that while enabling damaging development to take place you risk deteriorating the overall stock of wildlife.

When we wrote our report in 2010, there were over 600 offset banks worldwide and a conservative estimate of the global annual market size was $1.8-$2.9 billion.  This has doubtless grown since then.  What I do not know is whether there has been a net gain in biodiversity where these schemes have been operating. 

So, my message to Mr Paterson is let the six pilots run their course and learn the lessons before rolling out any new scheme nationally.

What do you think about the idea and practice of biodiversity offsetting?

It would be great to hear your views.

• I agree with Nightjar re land prices; any analysis of the Brown bust, ie demutualisation of Building Socs, credit release, housing boom on limited supply has to look at land supply and the oligopoly control of the big builders who speculate in land and derive most of their profits thereby; refer them to the OFT as acting against self build and fine them in land to release to self build co-ops and also a land tax.

This is compensation/mitigation old hat dressed up in new trousers; I broadly agree with the drift but land supply is key to preventing yet another housing bubble as we are stripped of our assets and investment profits are sucked offshore this becomes ever more serious re UK PLC.

• At the heart of all this is a fact that is never, ever discussed: the development land market is not a free market. It is entirely dependant on planning law and therefore the Government. And it is a serious problem in inflating house prices as soaring land prices make up a higher and higher proportion of the cost of new houses. What it also means is that Government can and must decide the character of development it is looking for. Rather than offsetting I'd suggest we have the opportunity to create new urban environments: high density means fewer gardesn but more people living near the edge. If every developed hectare had to bring say 9 hectares of 'green' land with it, at the same location, not miles away, it would simply spread the £1 million per hectare value of the development to make the whole 10 hectares worth £100,000 each - still a 10 times increase, rather than the obscene 100 times at present. This is the answer to the pleas for children to be in touch with nature - as in Mike's leader in this month's Birds - bring the environment to people. Green land - parks, nature reserves, wetlands - around where we live can do much more than help birds & give countryside access to all: despite the current Government's attitude, many serious economists recognise that environment is vital to the economy, especially in generating inward investment. Green land can work hard: absorbing flooding, big reedbeds could clean grey runoff at the same time as breeding Bitterns and woodland can produce low carbon energy.

And you can see it in practice in the Thames Gateway - and Rainham Marshes are the nature reserves alongside a mix of woodland, country parks and even a Plantlife farmland reserve.

• I will admit to not knowing much about this at all but 2 things do jump out at me.  The land that creates the compensatory habitat - We can't create that land so what compensates that land for the loss of its own habitat.  Secondly the offest market / banks - who wins there, is it the habitat or the bankers once again.   This sounds like commodity trading, buying and selling something that doesn't actually exist.

• In Essex, where one of the pilots is taking place, its  a struggle just to get landowners to register an interest, inspite of clear promotional material.  Maybe when development picks up and CAP reform clarifies they might see it as a tangible alternative income stream?  One problem is that there is not enough encouragement to developers to use the Environment Bank - perhaps a bit more insistence from councils - caveat with planning permission?

Some infill development near where I live will take out 2 song thrush territories - red data bird species: will priority be given to song thrush in the corresponding offset wildlife site?

• I don't know all the ins and outs of the science behind offsetting, but what strikes me immediately is how can this system hope to compensate for the loss? The area due for development may have taken decades, even centuries, to evolve its ecosystems. Trying to replace them in a new place, which may have totally different conditions, can't work can it? At least, not until another few decades/centries have past. Aren't there many species that simply won't 'move house'?