100 passengers, tents & sausages steamed out into the Severn Estuary.

Destination - Flat Holm island!

Five miles offshore from Cardiff, Flat Holm island is a SSSI, a nature reserve and now an officially ace place for a Big Wild Sleepout.

Photo by Samuel Whitfield

Surrounded by the amazing Severn Estuary all tents enjoyed pirate-sized views of distant lands, the sound of breaking waves and thousands of African bound gulls. We snuffled the shoreline for seaweed, limpets, crabs and driftwood; hunted for slow worms and counted butterflies & grasshoppers before toasting marshmallows on the beach, with the Milky Way, meteors and the International Space Station overhead!

To top it all – we broke the record for the most people ever camping out at once on the island and became celebrity campers with the BBC in tow http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-33846236.  Back onshore, the feedback from campers has been a little bit lovely ...

Just wanted to say thanks for a brilliant weekend. What a place Flat Holm is and myself and my boys had a really great time. The boys both got very excited by all the nature they got to see up close (especially the friendly grasshoppers and rabbits). 

Just wanted to say what a fantastic time we all had out on the island over the weekend. The organising team were excellent and deserve a huge amount of praise, and the entire experience couldn’t be faulted. Thanks again for giving us this unique opportunity.

The whole experience was fantastic and excellently organised.

It was a wonderful opportunity and thank you again for organising it - we had a ball and made some great new friends. I have told so many people about it - there are at least 20 people I know that are just waiting for notice of the next one!

Thank you for all your hard work from beginning to end. It was a really great experience.

It was a great adventure for the grandchildren and we all enjoyed it tremendously.

Thank you so much - it was such a good trip & I know lots of people (including us) who'd be interested to do it again. Boys keep asking to go back! 

Photo by Gareth Johns