Tern Island provides a vital refuge for ground-nesting species, especially the Little Tern. Guest blogger  Anne Hyatt shows how just one day’s volunteering can make all the difference.

Pagham Harbour is renowned for its breeding shorebird population, in particular the rare little tern. These dainty small terns require open shingle to nest on which attracts them to the harbour each spring. Predation is a big problem on the beach and harbour from mammals such as foxes and badgers, and also the birds have human and dog disturbance to contend with.

The opportunity to work at this special place is popular with volunteers, so I was pleased to have the chance to participate. Each year in February at Pagham the volunteers venture out in to Tern Island, in the centre of the harbour (at low tide I might add) to carry out a vegetation clearance project (weeding) to ensure that there is plenty of open shingle for the returning Little Terns in April.

As well as being very important work, it is an ideal opportunity to view the reserve from a different aspect, which few have the opportunity to do.

We waited for low tide and squelched through the mud to the island. There were a few gulls and waders about, all seemingly unconcerned about our activities.

So it was heads down and bums up for a few hours of weeding in what felt like a force 10 gale. But at least it wasn’t raining! Also Ivan (the warden at Pagham) provided us with a delicious broth followed by lemon drizzle cake for lunch yum yum.

That’s me at the front next to the bit of plastic pipe.

A week or so later, and the difference in appearance of the shingle is clear

Later in 2016 Pagham had the highest count of little terns (13 pairs and 11 fledged young) and a lot more activity from both common and little terns over Tern Island. Also skylark, Ringed Plover and Oystercatcher Fledged on the island.

One day’s work from us, and a massive difference for our little terms!

If you have a day you can give to nature by volunteering have a look at our volunteering opportunities to get involved and make all the difference