Since we began our community outreach work in the port city of Talcahuano, we have had enthusiastic participation and profound attention on behalf of the local children. "Bycatch" is a new term for many people and the range of marine species is a lot to take in for those unfamiliar with fisheries. For children hearing about the issue, it must seem like a whole new universe.

Whilst visiting local schools or community groups to explain our work at-sea, I noticed that children were always amazed when I used a tape measure to demonstrate the strong contrast between the wing span of a tiny tern (~40 cm) compared to that of a huge wandering albatross (>300 cm).

It is interesting to see how children link these elements to the conservation of marine diversity and especially when understanding the role of seabirds as "thermometers" to measure the health of marine ecosystem.

As I reflected about working with young children, I realised that I often talk about the sea and albatrosses with my daughter Gabriela, who is just four years old. However, despite my role as a member of the Albatross Task Force and as someone who constantly talks about bycatch and seabirds in my daily life, I had never thought to consider what the vision of a child would be on these matters.

For this reason, and to gain a minimum idea of what might be useful in future educational work with children, I invited my daughter Gabriela to take part in a short questionnaire / discussion, which went a little something like this:

Cristian: What are albatross?

Gabriela: Birds

Cristian: Where do they live?

Gabriela: Islands in the sea

Cristian: How big are they?

Gabriela: Large

Cristian: What do they like to eat?

Gabriela: Squid, fish

Cristian: Does anyone hurt them?

Gabriela: No

Cristian: Are there albatross that are caught on hooks?

Gabriela: Yes, and they are hooked in the beak and they eat plastic

Cristian: So who do you think might do them harm?

Gabriela: People

Cristian: What about hooks?

Gabriela: They might die or become entangled

Cristian: How do we prevent this from happening?

Gabriela: Taking the hooks out

Cristian: How?

Gabriela: With your hand

This simple series of questions / answers shows that it is easy for a child to understand the problem of bycatch and the risks our actions may have on marine biodiversity, such as the ingestion of plastics.

Actions such as the manual removal of hooks from birds that have become hooked accidentally is a topic currently recognized and promoted as a feasible solution at the international level. It is a simple enough solution that my four year old daughter could explain it. I think if we are to create a collective memory of the fragility of our marine biodiversity, with seabirds as a good example, it is essential that this perception is forged from an early age within our society.

Thus, the future adults will have time to think and dream of better solutions to safeguard our seabirds. However, some things do not change easily, so I had to go and buy some ice cream to pay for the time of my dear interviewee!

Thanks to my Gabriela ...

Below: Gabriela Suazo with her favourite albatross documentary