Pastry

Hello,

Just back to the forums after some time away...intrigued by the pastry posts...do the birds really go nutty for it? If so am I able to get a recipe.

thanks muchly.

• Hi Jenn,   yes indeed, most of the birds in my garden head straight to the pastry before the other stuff !  I have the the LTT's eating the pastry within a metre of me -  they are addicted to it  lol  Blackbirds also love it, as do Blue Tit, Coal Tit, Robin, and especially the Chaffinches who land on the twigs to eat it.    You will make bird friends for life if you introduce them to cheese pastry  !!!    good luck and let us know how you get on,

Regards, Hazel 

• thanks guys, will give it a try over the weekend. One small question....do you cook it?

i would love LTTS in my garden, I know there are flocks nearby, just need to intice them to my hoose.

• Just brought 50+ starlings into my garden so i will not be using it again, would be ideal if you do not get a large starling following around your home location

Regards Colin

See my photos  HERE

See my videos   HERE

• Hi yes Colin I only have a couple of starlings who are selective when they visit so fingers xd I should be OK!

Hi Jenn I put Nyjer seeds in mine and pack it into a feeder to encourage the finches who sing in a tree about 100yds away from my garden!

Regards Micolo

• I've just made some pastry with some cheese flavoured sausage meat. I'll put it out tomorrow evening.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• i also get invaded ...i thought id solved it by putting pastry in a large tin can with no ends on right under the bird table ...the starlings didnt find it :) hhooorraayyy ....but neither did any of the other birds :( ...i have found  sticking little bits all along the fence works reasonably though .....to small amount fora starling to bother with and just to tricky to hang on for ...its very time consuming though sticking acorn sized blobs all over not to mention walking about in the snow in your dressing gown and pjs makes you look a bit of a nutter to the neighbours but theyre used to it by now lol  

• Its helping my New Year Diet as now I don't eat the pastry trimmings myself any more!!

• lard purchased, going to get my pinny on in a minute. no peanuts in my house at the moment, but i have niger seed and "garden gourmet" bird food so may use that. bit worried about the prospect of rats visiting, but then I figured a) i live in the country-they will be sneaking about regardless and b) i want to try get LTTS in my garden.

• my natural baking instinct has told me to rub fat into flour....then i started thinking about it, maybe its easier to melt the fat then add to the flour or blend it all up in the blender. either way ends up with the same end product.

i think i had too much ginger grouse at murrayfield yesterday.