Wood pigeon won't fly

Hi 

We have had a woodpigeon in our garden for over a week and it won't fly.I have taken it to the vets who kept it over night giving it pain relief has they said one of its legs was bruised.They assure me it's wings are fine and there is nothing stopping it from flying.Brought it home and it just walks round garden and sits on plant pots.But it won't fly.Does anybody have any ideas or help.

• Lucky the vet agreed to see it. It may not want to - if it's safe in the garden and there is food and water supplied why expend energy flying. It obviously isn't worried by you as you have handled it. Is it definitely a wood pigeon?

Cin J

• Yes it's a wood pigeon.we have put it in box at night trying to keep it safe from cats.But do you think we should leave it to its own resources ,if it can fly then the cats won't get it.
  • It's a hard one to answer - if there is nothing wrong it should be able to get up into trees to avoid cats - have you been feeding it because they will also eat so much that they can't get off the ground? You can sometimes see it at harvest time when flocks pick up the spilt grain and make an easy target for foxes etc because the bird is sluggish and grain laden

Cin J

• We did feed it . But we have bird feeders in garden and it eats what drops to the ground. It doesn't look over weight but I am no expert.We are going to leave it out overnight. Last year we had wood pigeons in a nest in a tree in the garden they had to chick's.We are wondering if it is the same family though there is no nest.there are three wood pigeons on the roof and sometimes one flies down and pushes it as though it wants it to fly away with it.
  • My reply might not be what you want to hear but if it won't/can't fly then there is potentially something fundamental wrong and as horrid as it seems you need to let the bird take it's chances

Cin J

• Yes I think your probably right.Fingers crossed it survives.thanks for your concern.