Two questions - Re: metal hole covers and Owl boxes !

Two questions I need to ask my expert birders !      

1)  We have 7 nesting boxes fixed to different mature Oak trees in our garden;     last year, although the boxes had only been up one month, 4 became active with Blue Tits nesting, however GSW scared off three of them (fortunately before two had laid and another with just 3 eggs in it)  but were successful with the one nearest our house where at least 10 nestlings went on to fledge :)      We have since cleaned out all the boxes, bought new boxes for the ones GSW destroyed and added the metal entrance hole covers.     This leads me to wondering ..............  I notice the BTs marked their entrance, as is common with them, but since the metal plate has been fixed .......... how do they then identify their nesting box or mark it   ?  !!    Or do they settle for marking the inside rim ?    

2)   As we live in a wooded area with large garden,  we were thinking about adding an Owl nesting box.     I know nothing about the placement for these and I don't fancy climbing up into a 100ft. Oak tree too fix one   LOL       We have had one mature Oak cut down on our boundary fence area and was wondering if it was possible to use the flat surface of the 15ft. - 20ft   tree stump to fix the rather long owl box  into position.     I think there are other types of Owl box which I must investigate but any advice on best fixing position, etc., would be much appreciated.   I have heard Owls in the area on occasion so it would be wonderful to provide a home for one.    

Thanks for any advice you can give me.     

Parents
No Data
  • I honestly don't know what the pecking around the hole entrance signifies. It's always seemed to me to be just impulsive behaviour but it may be some sort of territorial thing - I just don't know. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much, birds seem to have a way of sorting things out for themselves.

Children