Strong words from RSPB England

I can't post a link yet but this has just been put up on Twitter

in the thread there are about 6 more of these from them...nice one RSPB

• I'd love to know who had the backbone to put such a post on Twitter in the first place.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• I am pretty sure there would have been a meeting to discuss prior to it going up. Someone very senior signed it off in my opinion.....just an opinion though.
  • Mark Avery has just put this in a thread of tweets he's done.

"When 'Liars' appeared it took my breath away. I'd expect the CEO & Chair of Council to have approved such a move - if they did, & then backed down, that is pretty awful. If junior staff failed to get the requisite approvals then that's not good either."

Someone has said a person from the RSPB has been on R4 this morning and was pretty fiery
  • Apparently Becky Speight did not approve that tweet. Just read this in the Guardian.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• We know from experience on here how quick they are to take things down they don't like, I'm guessing if those original tweets are still there at the end of today they got the ok from someone.
  • We should all be printing them and framing them while we can!

• I can understand why the RSPB has had to apologise for calling individual government ministers liars but applaud the message that this government DOES lie on a regular, if not daily, basis. The government want us to believe that their plans will maintain environment protection but at the same time they open the door to degradation via their latest policy u-turn. It is a pathetic and frankly unbelievable attempt to pull the wool over our eyes. Well done RSPB for showing that we are all angry.
  • She would have needed to know about it first. If she didn't approve it then I'm assuming she didn't know. It'll be interesting to see who leaves in the coming week(s).

• Clare Bailey said:
    She would have needed to know about it first. If she didn't approve it then I'm assuming she didn't know. It'll be interesting to see who leaves in the coming week(s).

I agree with that......but she needed to know about it as she is Chief Exec. If she didn't know about it, she's either on holiday and the deputy needs to take ownership, or they aren't getting involved in what they're meant to be involved with. I agree with Mark Avery's response that Alan posted, and that is if junior staff failed to get approval, she is responsible for that too. Means measures weren't in place that should have been. Measures she is responsible for.

• I accept I'm being harsh, but Chief Exec is a tough role. If you don't know what's going on, in terms of high profile output, something is amiss....