Silverstone Grand Prix Circuit Wildlife

Not something you'd expect to see here, is it. We all tend to share photos and reports of wildlife in the various reserves and countryside, and apart from towns and other urban developments,venues like Silverstone don't even get a mention.

Even airports would have a similar wildlife population, so perhaps next time you're jetting off somewhere, have a look, and if possible, grab a photo of two....

So why have I opted to post about Silverstone.

Well, my son treated me as a Father's Day pressie to a full weekend there, as a thank you for being his supportive dad while his partner walked out on him and she challenged him to the house and a few other things. However, she either hadn't the financial backing or didn't want to pursue, so my son had to pay for her half of the house etc.

Plus we do share the same interest.

Silverstone does have large grassed areas, though not too many trees, birds, worms and insects will reside.

The Friday, I didn't see too much wildlife, but the Saturday, we were in quite early, and the grassed area in front was awash with starlings.

Zoomed in and cropped

Then, as if my perfect timing, they all took flight.....

A pair of male house sparrows, though I did wonder if it was father and son.... Perhaps junior was treating his dad as a belated Father's Day pressie....

Probably a kestrel, I'm sure there will be a few small rodents around....

Sunday was an early start, to get as near the front of the queues as possible, and some of the former WWII airfields in Oxfordshire were used for the Park & Ride. We were in Hinton Airfield, still active as a small plane and glider airfield, just before sunrise.

And as the sun was actually rising....

As the day progressed, birds were still very apparent, considering the noise levels and high octane activity, with i think a wood pigeon. It was typical wood pigeon behaviour, solo, and obviously had sussed out where it was safe, on this stretch of grass right by the track!

It would lay almost flat as the cars raced past, though I wouldn't feel safe just lying flat.....

A pied wagtail finding lunch....

Among the many side displays, the Red Arrows did a superb demo

You remember that wood pigeon?

Now for the main event of the day, the F1, high octane, fast cars aaaaaand...... carnage at the start!

You remember that wood pigeon earlier?

This next photo shows the grassed area where it was, but at least it managed to get away, to come back and feed there again another day... 

For those wondering, the estimated speeds of the cars were 180+ mph, the three cars were written off and three drivers walked into the ambulances. One was trapped because his car was upside down so had to wait until rescue crews got to him.

Apart from that, it was a brilliant weekend, even though I'm now laid up and struggling to walk.

• It's amazing what wildlife can tolerate - glad woody managed a sharp exit with all that chaos. I gather there were some protesters as well - a very exciting weekend had by all by the sounds of it. Rest up
  • Germain said:
    It's amazing what wildlife can tolerate - glad woody managed a sharp exit with all that chaos. I gather there were some protesters as well - a very exciting weekend had by all by the sounds of it. Rest up

Yes, woody made a sharp exit.

There were protesters there, I understand from 'Just Stop Oil', which begs the question how did they get there, by foot (most footwear still requires some oil products to make them) or pony and trap, cos everything else uses oil, including bicycles, oil for the brake linings, the chain and gear mechanisms....