Tern fest

Having  had a few health  problems  over  the  last  few  weeks  Chris  decided we both needed  a bit of  a  booster.Last Monday  she contacted the agency  we usually  book through and  got  us a last minute  cottage  in Embleton  in Northumberland. Up and away  early  Tuesday morning  we were soon on the coast  near  to Druridge Bay and the Drift Cafe near Cresswell. Well fed we headed  to  the reserve  at Hauxley where we could start  our hunt for Terns. The Terns on the large lake are mainly  birds  that breed on nearby  Coquet  Island  and they come  across  to wash  and preen  in fresh  water to get rid of  the  salt in their  feathers. There  were Arctic, Sandwich, Little  and the odd Roseate Terns  as well as all the usual  water birds. A shortish drive took us to our cottage, a beautiful  old stone  built spot with a wonderful  garden full of Sparrows. Wednesday we walked  to the Tern colonies  ar Long Nanny where Little  Terns  and Arctic  Terns  are looked  after  by the NT wardens

Thursday was a pilgrimage  day  to Holy Island or Lindisfarne to pay our  respect to St Cuthbert. We also  wanted  to  visit  a remote  spot called  The Snook which watchers  of the tv programme  Vera may recognise as her supposed house  and the causeway  to the island  features  often  in the programme. Best birds here were Common Tern on the lough and a couple  of Rock Pipits  that posed  well for us.A quick stop on the way back at a roadside  pool got us  both Sandwich  and Arctic  Terns  sat together  on a fence 

After  packing  on Friday morning  we called  in at Hauxley  again  for lunch and a walk  on the  beach before  the driver  back down  the A1,usual  Friday  traffic and the first  rain  of the week.

A great  few  days  that did boost me  up as Northumberland  usually  does

• Sounds a fabulous break Pete, for both of you.

I've not managed to do much in Northumberland, apart from the drive from N Yorkshire to Lindisfarne, and once past Tyneside, it did look fabulous.

Lindisfarne is a fabulous little island, though I've only spent a day there, and cram packed a lot in, not something I'd be able to do today. That included Lindisfarne Castle (Nat Trust) and a good wander around the village and surrounding country. Also, on the drive back, timed to allow a stop and not be caught by the tide, pulling in to a layby on the Causeway to take in the awesome views, and finally, back on the mainland to watch the tide come over the road.

It was a fabulous day, and one I'd love to try again, or more likely, a long weekend, because there is so much to see on the island alone.

I still have those photos online in my Lindisfarne Album, which you're free to peruse if you want.

• Sounded like a lovely break Pete with plenty of interesting areas and birds; often wondered where "Vera's " film location house was in Northumberland; we loved Holy Island when we visited it twice during a weeks' break when we stayed at Seahouses. After so many medical appointments and health problems we can fully understand just how vital such a holiday break is and thanks for this lovely update Pete. Even sitting on a bench in the warm sunshine did us the world of good this afternoon after the monsoon deluge first thing this morning. !
  • Sounds fab, Pete, we stayed in Embleton last time we were on Northumberland but the only time we had at Hauxley was drizzly. Time before we stayed in Amble at it was truly magical. Glad you and Chris had a good break!
  • It's so true Mike and it is so easy to get away from the hustle and bustle around the castle area. We actually stayed on the island for three nights a few years ago for our 40th wedding aniversary. The atmosphere was so different when all the day visitors had left, pure magic Grinning
  • It was the7th time we had stayed in Embleton the cottage this time was probably early 1800's but with all mod cons inside. Chris is thinking of it for our Autumn visit
  • Wendy S said:
    It's so true Mike and it is so easy to get away from the hustle and bustle around the castle area. We actually stayed on the island for three nights a few years ago for our 40th wedding aniversary. The atmosphere was so different when all the day visitors had left, pure magic

Though it wasn't a cold day as such, there was that easterly har coming in from the North Sea, which was blocked out nicely by the buildings in the village, but one part that did make the whole day seem cosy, was a small hotel on the outskirts of the village, that had a nice log fire burning whilst we enjoyed lunch.

I've just done a search, it's called The Lindisfarne Hotel, only because I'd just been discussing it with Ang, my wife.

Another on the ever growing list.......