Strange Threads stated by some new members in recent days/week’s/month’s, etc!

I don’t  know if I'm imaging this. But recently I've noticed threads about birds causing problem started more frequently. Am I imagining this. There seems to be a lot more threads started about this, but not started by any of the members who've posted on here for years. But by various new members of this forum. I hope it’s just my invagination or has anyone else noticed this. I didn't want to start this thread, but I've noticed this happening a lot more regularly in recent weeks/month’s. Please tell me I'm wrong or has anyone noticed this recently

• I suspect I may be one of the people you're talking about (although maybe not)

I posted today about gulls targetting my cat in the hope some people on here may have advice/reassurance/help they could give.

I posted after days of desperate googling for possible solutions to the problem. This forum came up in one of my searches and I just thought it was worth a try.

I obviously don't know what your concern is about posts like mine but in my case, despite loving animals, my knowledge of birds is basically zero.
    So, I just thought the folks on here are bound to have much more knowledge & experience in stuff like this than I have.

I joined a while ago originally, specifically to ask about a wee Robin who'd taken a liking to my garden & got great advice about protecting him from my cats - which I'm delighted to say meant he visited safely all winter and had his own personal buffet to enjoy :-)
  • We do seem to go through phases where we get lots of calls/cries for help with respect to bird behaviour, and now is probably a very prominent time.

Me personally, welcome those calls/cries for help, because often those asking, want to understand what is going on and if possible can anything be done about it. If the poster grasps the picture and understands what and why, then that is a bonus in my book and often, many do manage to move on in a positive way.

Often, nothing can be done, its nature, particularly this time of year when many birds are trying to protect their young who will now be getting ready to venture out in the big bad world, safe as as possible.

And lets face it, if you have a family, you would do what you can to protect your children and give them the best start you can.

So does nature.

• Guilty as charged Ian! However, my thread was/is about a 'delinquent' Herring Gull that 'ground nested' with his mate in an 'impossible situation' for their successful 'procreation' within a 'human', 'herring gull' and 'urban predator' environment. The 'urban predator' prevailed in this/that case. :(

This is a 'natural progression' of events during the 'mating season'. However, you seem to not know these events/parameters. How can I help?

Ian! It's 'that time of year!

How do you talk to a seagull?

Kind regards, Ray Dart.
  • DartRay said:
    Guilty as charged Ian! However, my thread was/is about a 'delinquent' Herring Gull that 'ground nested' with his mate in an 'impossible situation' for their successful 'procreation' within a 'human', 'herring gull' and 'urban predator' environment. The 'urban predator' prevailed in this/that case. :(

This is a 'natural progression' of events during the 'mating season'. However, you seem to not know these events/parameters. How can I help?

Ian! It's 'that time of year!

How do you talk to a seagull?

Kind regards, Ray Dart.

There os no such thing as a Seagull! Gulls Yes!

• I think what Thomo is saying is there’s lots more posts about birds needing help recently. The post isn’t aimed at any specific person sending posts about needing help with birds but the new members wouldn’t know we get more posts needing help about birds at this time of year and I think it is makeing new people that posted cause they need help think the post is aimed at one of them cause they don’t know that.
  • 'There os no such thing as a Seagull! Gulls Yes!'

There are too many 'typos' here!

'Gulls' live (usually by nature) by the sea. This species also, by nature, takes it's sustenance from 'the sea', though some species have become partially reliant upon human 'land based waste'. Thus, 'Seagull' and 'Gull' are considered synonymous to the same species.

PS. Are you THOMO, or Ian???

I'm out of here. You're 'having a laugh'.

Ray Dart.