Protection of the Herring Gull.

How can we justify the protection of this species where/when they nest 'too close' to an urban population for their own security?

'OK'! I blame the fisheries (fishermen) for leading herring gulls to our ports and land regions, but the fact that we protect this species means that we also 'protect' the 'species' without condition.

I'm currently faced with a ground 'nest' at my front door. That's OK in that I don't need to use this  means of transit as I have a 'side door' that I can use. However, that ingress/exit takes me within 4ft of the ground nest which also invokes an 'aggressive attitude' from the 'parenting/nesting couple' for this ground-space. I avoid this 'agression' by feeding the couple with an acceptable form of food (white fish) at an optimal time during their occupation.  I should 'not' need to do this to safely enter/exit my home! These raptors can inflict injury that may induce a bacterial/viral infection where/when a 'broken skin' scenario evolves from a confrontational encounter, so how are they not 'vermin' in this scenario?

That said, this nesting couple isn't likely to be sucsesful in their endeavour to procreate due to the local population of urban fox.

How can anyone manage this scenario without the implication of the £2,000 fine for nesting disruption, or the added cost/inconvenience of cohabitation with this species. Many of us can't afford to 'live' with this 'inconvenience'.

Kind regards, Ray.

• Hold my earlier thought Zo!

The Gulls may well gather together in flotillas of/for familial recognition for ‘security’ purposes, but there could also be another reason for their ‘migration’ between ‘land’ and ‘sea’ on a diurnal timescale!

‘Thermal capacity’!

‘The sea (water)’ takes ‘a longer time’ to warm during ‘spring and summer’ and ‘a longer time’ to cool during ‘autumn and winter’ WRT ‘any land surface’. Thus, these Gulls only seem to seek a ‘climate’ that best suits their ‘metabolism/lifestyle of the day’.

Our recent ‘frosts’ in the UK lead me to think about this subject and I believe that the Gulls may well migrate to the sea at night because the sea was ‘warmer than the land’ during our ‘overnight frosts’. Similarly, I could also presume that, during the ‘hot season’, the Gulls may want to ‘cool’ in the sea.

This leaves ‘spring and autumn’. ‘Spring’ is the season for ‘laying eggs’ and ‘autumn’ is the season for ‘educating the offspring’.

Your thoughts?

Kind regards, Ray Dart (AKA suricat).