Can anyone identify this bird?

Hi all,

I was walking today in Tomintoul, Cairngorms National Park and found this dead bird. I can't for the life of me identify it. I first thought Kestrel/buzzard but since getting home can see it is not any of those. It seems to have a long? Beak poking out and black feet. Can you help? Much appreciated. Nicky

• Hi Nicky,
    It's a little hard to tell but I do wonder if it's something like a Woodcock but the black legs confuse me, size is also tricky to determine as there is a big difference between a Kestrel and a Buzzard. Hopefully one of the upland experts will be along

Cin J

• As Germain says, it is hard without any scale to hint at size. It does not look like Woodcock to me but I did wonder about Snipe where the legs can be dark if not black

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• i go along with snipe. love to get it verified though
  • hi all. im bill f new to all this. having a bit of trouble sussing it al out. old age def dose not come alone. regards.
  • Bill old age is no excuse,quite a few of us on here are well over 21

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Hi

it's not a snipe- the markings are wrong-

I'm considering curlew / whimbrel but want to manipulate the image a bit more

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Interesting Seymore I tried them two but could not get my head round it hope you can do it

Pete

• Hello, everyone, I think it's a Curlew? It's the only bird that seems to have the black feet and feathers seem very likely. I did hear some flying in the area but originally it didn't occur to me it was one as I've just never seen one this close up or dead! Appreciate all opinions and if it's not a Curlew then correct me
  • In reply to Germain:

I'd say it's about the size of a raven?
  • In reply to Seaman:

Hi, I think it's a Curlew, it's neck must be tucked under itself and you can just see a break poking out and then the feet at the bottom.