It only takes 30 seconds to speak up for wildlife

I will apologise upfront if I've over stepped the mark. Many of you will be aware that I live too near to HS2 construction along with incessant housing and commercial developments, many are on the back of HS2.

The ongoing and  never ending demise of the countryside is in my opinion, so desperate that Coleshill, Meriden, Coventry, Kenilworth, Leamington and Warwick will all become part of the Birmingham Metropolis.

If its deemed I should delete this post, then please respond, and I will review all responses, if not, then please consider adding your name.

Thank you for taking the time to read, whatever your thoughts might be.

The following text and image is from the Wildlife Trust, not mine.

It only takes 30 seconds to speak up for wildlife    

Wildlife populations are at an all-time low. Their drastic decline means we’re heading for a future where once-common species are lost forever.

The Environment Act was passed into law in 2021, making it a legal requirement for current and future governments to protect and improve the natural environment in England.

The UK Government is currently proposing legally-binding targets for the next 20 years to help achieve its legal commitment to nature’s recovery.

But the proposed targets could mean we have less nature 20 years from now. This will not create the wilder future we all need, and deserve.  

The UK Government is only consulting on these plans until 11 May.
All you need to do is add your name.
Image Wildlife Trusts
  • Done, I drove 'around' Birmingham the other week - the size, sprawl and development/expansion is depressing. It actually felt like the longest part of my whole 4 hour drive
  • I  dont think you would be surprised since I do conservation news sometimes. And even  petitions by the Wildlife Trust and other Conservation  Charitys  sometimes if they need  more people to raise awareness or sign and share them. But I have signed it aswell. It’s  good that the goverment are trying to help achieve Its Legal commitments to 

Nature’s recovery but  I don’t think they really thought things through very well as in how the targets might affect Wildlife in the meantime until they have achieved the legal commitments to Nature’s recovery 

• Germain said:
    Done, I drove 'around' Birmingham the other week - the size, sprawl and development/expansion is depressing. It actually felt like the longest part of my whole 4 hour drive

Thank you on behalf of the Wildlife Trust, and me

I am only a few miles East of B'ham, so you've seen first hand the sprawl, more like urban mess, I have to endure.

Forty years ago, it was a ten minute walk to the countryside, today, its almost a thirty minute drive, and there's a lot more to come on the back of HS2.

• Linda257 said:
    Done ;-)

Thank you on behalf of the Wildlife Trust, and me

• Zo Clark said:

I  dont think you would be surprised since I do conservation news sometimes. And even  petitions by the Wildlife Trust and other Conservation  Charitys  sometimes if they need  more people to raise awareness or sign and share them. But I have signed it aswell. It’s  good that the goverment are trying to help achieve Its Legal commitments to 

Nature’s recovery but  I don’t think they really thought things through very well as in how the targets might affect Wildlife in the meantime until they have achieved the legal commitments to Nature’s recovery 

Thank you on behalf of the Wildlife Trust, and me.

Sadly Zo, the government's attempts fall very short, to the point of, not even a token gesture for nature. If you look deeper into it, there's more scope for house building than nature in any shape or form.

I was having a very good chat with someone from my local Wildlife Trust very recently, and I thought things were bad, until she shown me some other things, which are really concerning, from a countryside and nature perspective.