I had a cunning plan

Hi Observers,

I did have a brilliant, in my opinion, plan about putting up bird boxes for the micro community of which I am a resident.

This would also be beneficial for the wider community including children. I gained permission to put up as many as

was practical, with a stipulation that no screws, nails or bolts would be used which will damage the trees. Fair enough.

This are 30 established trees in the middle of a village.

This was in late 2019 and everything was looking good to go to the first stage. Raising funds.

Then in March 2020 something happened. The rug was tugged from under my feet.

Fast forward to December 2021. I had to start again. Fortunately I got permission again. That is where I am now.

So, my reason for tapping into your extensive knowledge is this. What next?

My initial thoughts were to A) Raise funds to pay for them (the bird boxes). B) Find someone of an organisation to make them (including schools).  C) Put them up.

Taking it at one stage at a time, as this is a longer term project, how do I raise funds?

Does anyone reading this have experience of getting money? I will greatly appreciate their help.

My thoughts are do I establish a not for profit group? A charity? A club? A resident association? Another? How do I do this?

Can any one of you help or point me in the right direction please?

Hopefully,

Hooky.

• Hi Ann,
    Great idea which will cut down on expenditure. It would look good on a company's "c.v." It is also is very topical as "Carbon Footprint" seem to be the "in" words and anything environmental is seen as positive even if it has not a direct relationship with polluting the planet.

I like the idea of children getting involved and this idea cascading down to parents and other adults. You never know the staff at a local B&Q might be influenced. Then their children might ask for a bird box for their garden.

You can see the potential for this project to expand. I want to get them put up in the local "rec'" which goes even further as adults and children (who are taking Dad or Mum to play on the swings) will start asking question.
    That is a child's job. To ask questions.

Mike has suggested getting in touch with the Scouts and Guides. I have emailed the Scouts to find a local group and to see if it fits in with any of their achievement badges. I will find a local Girl Guide group next (or Guides, as they now) to ask the same question.

I will keep you updated Ann.
    Have a great weekend.

Best regards,

Hooky.
  • I forgot to say that the RSPB sell two sizes of small stainless steel nestbox plates to attach over the holes of nestboxes to deter predators. The smallest size plate has a hole suitable for Blue Tits and similar sized small birds to enter the box and the slightly larger size plate has a hole to allow Great Tits and other birds that size to enter the box. They are not inexpensive, £3.00 each but worth it to deter predators from widening the entrance hole in a wooden box. The RSPB Shop link is at the top of each of these pages on a computer; sorry but I have no idea what the pages look like on a phone or tablet.
  • Morning Ann,
    That is a great idea. I was thinking that I would have to go to British Steel and buy some sheet metal.
    Good news hot off the press.
    I am meeting a volunteer Wednesday 12th January who is going to build the first few. Just to get the project off the ground. I will mention these plates.
    Thank you Ann. (Smiley face).

Best regards,

Hooky.
  • Hi Mike,
    I am sorry to hear about the incident. It is not an accident as it was contrived. I will have a look at flicker. Sounds a great place for photos. I am still at the box brownie stage.

Kind regards,

Hooky.
  • Hooky said:
    Hi Mike,

I am sorry to hear about the incident. It is not an accident as it was contrived. I will have a look at flicker. Sounds a great place for photos. I am still at the box brownie stage.

Kind regards,

Hooky.

No worries, thankfully I've managed to move on, not quite as smoothly as would have been liked.

As for photos, you never stop learning, there is always something around the corner to throw out those golden rules, just like life I guess.

If ever you need any help with photography, or wildlife, there are plenty here who will be more than willing to help where they can, so just ask away.