Drama On The Patio Today

Sat reading online news this afternoon with the patio awning out when there was quite a "thump" outside on the awning. Looked out to find the following about 2 ft from the patio doors. I could not dare to move in case I frightened the Sprawq away, Mrs T was further in the room and managed to get her little Sony DSC HX90 camera with the following results.

After about 6/8 mins of it looking around it flew away to the hedge with its catch. It looked like a young bird to us. Poor old Collard Dove but such is nature.

The dark line across the bottom of some pictures is the edge of the patio door frame to show how close it was to the house.

• Cracking pics Tony (well done Mrs T) and to have it so close...such a beautiful bird. I also had a close encounter with one yesterday when I was working in the garden...it flew right over my head chasing a pigeon...magnificent birds
  • Hi Tony, stunning pics of stunning bird, thanks for sharing :o)
  • Some great captures there Tony MrsT really got the birds expression spot on
  • Thanks Linda, we were lucky my wife could move to get her camera without frightening the bird away. My chair is about a metre from the window so no chance of moving. The Sprawk is a fairly regular visitor to the garden, there are always feathers on the lawn and we do see them swoop over the garden at time.
  • Thanks PB, right place right time. Just as well my wife was about, if I had got my camera it would have been too close to focus.
  • Thank you Pete, luckily my wife had just walked into the room and was able to get her camera.
    Bye the way, thank you for your advice & tips when we were on the N Y Moors a few months back, unfortunately we did not see much but had a great day at Bempton (not posted any pics yet!) and fab views of a Tawny in the bluebell woods below Roseberry Topping when we climbed up. And we were very frustrated by the NT when we moved onto Northumberland with no trips to the Farnes, my son & partner went on a boat trip around the isles but not the same as landing. Also had great views of Tawny & Chick & Red Squirrels at NWT Hauxley reserve.
  • Hi Tony,
    Stunning captures of a handsome but notoriously flighty bird, well done between you and Mrs T.
    I've had a handful of, to a degree, similar experiences over the years with the camera just out of reach and almost always had to just keep still and watch as any movement is going to end the show. Still rewarding but as a photographer always frustrating but you can't live your whole life carrying your camera just in case, especially when at home.
    With Mrs T's help you managed the best of both.
    Well done,
    Best Wishes,
    Trevor
  • Ooh well done Mrs T and you, you must have had one hell of a shock when you saw that face looking in at you! Beautiful bird, poor Collard Dove, but this is nature.
  • Blimey, well captured Mrs T, the clarity is brilliant, and thank you Tony for sharing the photos.

• Thought our ex-rspb moderator was back for a moment when I read Mrs.T. !!! well done Mrs Tony, they are stunning birds of prey and although its nature as you say and the sparrowhawk has to eat it's sad to see the demise of another bird. What a beauty the Sprawk is though with those beady eyes and beautiful plumage markings.