Spot the I.d. error

Did everyone spot the basic I.d. mistake in the latest ‘Nature's Home' magazine?

Yes, took me a while to finish it, so if you didn't notice it first time, it is likely to be near the back......

• I didn't, unless it was the chaffinch with what seemed normal legs, in the article about the growths chaffinches can endure.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• I guess it's the one in the advert which names a juvenile GSW as a lesser spotted. Not the RSPB's fault although they are named as partners in the mobile phone service.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• I will go for the bird photo marked as a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker on page 73 which looked more like a juvenile Great Spotted Woodpecker. I don't think Lesser have the white wing patch as shown in the photo, but then again I'm no expert !

post edit:   Tony beat me to it but glad we are of the same opinion  !!    phew !

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• Yes, that’s the one I referred to. That ‘joint ad’ also refers to future purchase of Greylake’. Is that different to the place of the same name already being run by RSPB? Might not be owned outright currently, but a bit misleading if it isn’t going to alter the status quo re the listed birds. You would hope a joint partnership and campaign has involved at least someone from RSPB. I have no doubt it has potential, but getting the basics wrong doesn’t instil confidence.
  • shows how little I look at adverts, good job it wasn't anything important

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• In reply to Seaman:

The page wasn't marked up as an ad like several others are. A UK map with birds and associated captions, so designed carefully not to look like an ad.

• Just realised that neither of us has opened the last magazine it was still under the last Birdwatching mag,good job you mentioned it.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• In reply to Robbo:

Robbo said:

The page wasn't marked up as an ad like several others are. A UK map with birds and associated captions, so designed carefully not to look like an ad.

That is why I never spotted the error, it glared advert to me, and I switch off to all adverts with the way they are bombarded at us these days.

I may not have spotted it, anyway, but we'll never know, and there's no way I can check back, as the mag has been passed on to a friend to read.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• As 'advert' was raised again, got to say that I find it hard to imagine it isn't an RSPB error. Ecotalk (Ecotricity) are unlikely to have sent staff out to take photos of the hawfinch for example (or pied flycatcher on the Ecotalk website), just for their ads. Those photos, and others they use as part of their joint marketing, others of which are on the website, have surely got to have come from RSPB staff? Same as permission to use RSPB logo.

Just thought I'd highlight the i.d. error. Everyone makes mistakes, incl me, but bird charities shouldn't be misidentifying common garden birds and this isn't the first time.