Farne Islands

This is a tragedy and I’ve known about this and it’s to do with management issues. I won’t say any more at present.

• Come on Ian, as Bob says give us the low down on this
  • www.birdguides.com/.../
    Arctic Terns abandon famous Farne Islands bird colony. I’m afraid it’s true and also it has been reported no resident wardens on the Farne Islands since 2019 because of covid. Yet other well known bird sanctuaries have still have had resident wardens during the seabird nesting season such as on Coquet Island. It has been discussed by various active birdwatchers who I know locally at 2 other well known bird reserves in North East England. And it’s not just that. I wasn’t going to mention anything about this, but I knew it was about to be made public knowledge so i posted a little information yesterday. I heard about this earlier this year. This gives more information about the whole sad situation. It’s very tragic indeed. David Steel was the manager/head warden of the Farne Islands for 14 years and now is in charge of an island bird sanctuary off the coast of Scotland for a number of years now and he has commented on this as well.