Corvid crisis - what's going on??

Hello all,

I did have another login but I have a new laptop and lost it, so I've been around a while, not just as MrsRussell.... Medhuil possibly, but can't remember - if anyone remembers me!

So our son has grown quite fond of the rooks and jackdaws that nest close to our house, to the point where they will occasionally come and perch with him/on him when he's putting food out for them.

They're getting closer and closer to the house, feeding on the footpath in front of the window, perching outside boy's bedroom window and calling, and this morning one was actually perched on the dining room windowsill knocking on the glass! (Due to the angle of the sun unlikely to be an issue with reflection.)

They're actually coming down really low over the garden while I'm putting washing out - he's at school I might add so they're not buzzing him for food - close enough to hear their wings overhead.

This is both rooks *and* jackdaws, so it's unlikely to be specific to the nesting family opposite our bedroom window, and I don't think it's species-specific.

Is it as simple as they're associating us with food? I don't think it's weird - despite it sounding kind of like they're stalking us - I think it's lovely, I'd just like to know what's going on so I can do the thing they need!

• I'd just keep doing what you've been doing. It sounds like, over the years, that you and your son have built up a good, trusting relationship with your rooks and jackdaws and they are letting you know that they appreciate your kindness towards them. Corvids take a fair length of time to trust but when they do trust it's obvious.
  • Ah, thanks Clare, it's good to know it's not something that they need help with, I was worried they might be feeling intimidated by us being out in the garden if they were nesting somewhere close.
    Tapping on the window was a new development though!
  • Over the years we seen this happen with local corvids, just try not to encourage them into the house, they make an awful mess !! At an older place we lived one Jackdaw, named Jacko what else ? became a real pest with the neighbours and did vanish rather suddenly but this was in a small village where they viewed wildlife differently