Feeding Station Squirrel Guard

Some of you will recall the problem we had, still have, with grey squirrels devouring food from the feeders. While it is nature, it did get beyond reasonable to the point the squirrels were successfully completing a take-over bid of the garden and feeders.
It looks like for now, we've found a humane solution, probably only temporary, squirrels aren't daft and I'm sure they will find a way around the lampshade attachment to the feeding station at some point in the future. However, for now, it is deterring them getting to the feeders, and no harm comes to the squirrels, or other species.
It is funny watching them, still trying.
  • It will work well Mike as it looks high enough to prevent them from jumping on to it and with no accessible launch pads in sight !    It was the only method that worked in our garden and in almost 9 years they didn't bypass it once although one did have a good chew at the plastic fixing screw underneath and shredded it  !   It still stayed in place as cyril squirrel still had another days chewing to do to drop the baffle entirely   LOL .    

• All may not be what it seems, the squirrels have got on to the feeders, but we're not sure how. I've set up two cams to try and investigate whether they are getting past the lampshade or leaping across from the nearest tree!

My guess is they're taking the leap of faith (or should that be leap for food) from the nearest tree, but the footage shows them climbing up and not down, which they would have to do if leaping down from the nearest tree!

Little rascals....

• From what I remember Mike the greys could leap between 8 - 10 feet (in old money ! ) and they are very proficient in jumping at least 2 metres from the ground - the pesky blighters lol
  • I have a couple of these clear domes and the Squirrels have no way of getting past them to get to the feeders.
    After over 10 years of using them I have never seen the Squirrels on the feeders, and after a few days of initial installation they gave up even trying.
    Just make sure the feeders are far enough away from an adjacent tree or bush so the the Squirrels cannot jump onto the feeder.
  • Unknown said:
    From what I remember Mike the greys could leap between 8 - 10 feet (in old money ! ) and they are very proficient in jumping at least 2 metres from the ground - the pesky blighters lol

I've seen them leap a gap of around 1.2 mtrs with comfort.

As yet, no further attempts have been made and no more squirrels seen on the feeders, so it may just be pushing their boundaries. I'll keep monitoring for now.

• Unknown said:
    I have a couple of these clear domes and the Squirrels have no way of getting past them to get to the feeders.

After over 10 years of using them I have never seen the Squirrels on the feeders, and after a few days of initial installation they gave up even trying.
    Just make sure the feeders are far enough away from an adjacent tree or bush so the the Squirrels cannot jump onto the feeder.

I thought I had done that, kept the feeders far enough away, but not too far, however, I may easily have misjudged the gap. Time will tell, it may just be a little too far for their comfort leaping zone, I don't know as yet, there's been no further sightings of squirrels on the feeders since my initial update, but I'm still monitoring.

It was just the observations of he squirrels pose that suggested they were climbing up rather than leaping. Hopefully the cameras are set far enough back to trigger when they come into view on the feeder.

• You should be ok with the baffle dome Mike as we had a huge number of grey squirrels in our last garden (23 seen at one stage) and not one of them reached the feeders although, as I say, they are determined little beggars and will chew the plastic screw ring although the screw still managed to do its job baffling the squirrel lol