Parkland birds

Hello again forumates,   sorry I've been absent for a while but it's been a challenging and busy few months for us so decided to take a longer than planned break from the forum.    It will take me a while to catch up on what's been happening and I'll post a few pics up although to be honest I haven't been anywhere other than our immediate parkland area where we are living but having said that we have a good range of birds here on parkland in Cheshire.      Still haven't had my eyes sorted out yet either due to lockdown and other things going on and keeping us otherwise occupied so pics are a bit hit and miss at the moment,  missing more birds than I manage to capture on camera !      Almost forgotten how to use a camera as often I would take my walks with Mike without any gear except for binoculars  - but always carrying a tub of mealworms !      Hope you've all been keeping well and I'll try bob in on the forum when I get chance;    just didn't want you thinking I'd fallen into a large sink hole and disappeared    LOL     

A few pics from the last few months to prove I haven't sold the camera ;)

Trying to look innocent but responsible for several missing Mallard ducklings :(       Nature red in tooth and claw but he/she also has to feed their own growing chicks

and here's one nest of dinosaur chicks ...........      we have a heronry on part of the parkland (island on the mere)   

they just look like trouble don't they ?    LOL

We also have the largest breeding area in North West for Mandarin ducks;    although notoriously shy it takes a lot of patience and camouflage to try capture these birds on camera but today I saw the single mandarin duckling again .......

There are lots of bird boxes around the woodland including stonecrete ones that one pair of Nuthatches have taken a liking to  .........

seem to be finding plenty of insects

Lots of Treecreepers around too ............

Blackcaps are also around in numbers ....    here's the male

and here's the female thankfully finding plenty of bugs, insects for her nestlings

Chiffchaffs are in full voice ...... it was singing its name too

Chiffchaff again .....

This one had a different  "hweet" sound so thinking if may be a Willow Warbler (grateful thanks to Rob for Chiffchaff ID)  

same bird showing quite long wing length ?   "Hweet"    !!    Chiffchaff it is !

Common Buzzards are always on the parkland - this one perched opposite our apartment .....

This one also seen from our balcony .....

Pair of Great Crested Grebes are on the large mere ......  

and the tons of robins around ........ this little robin I try visit most days as it is feeding young so I leave live mealroms on the post for the adults to take to their chicks

Todays visit to the same pair of robins

and a handsome male chaffinch singing away to finish this post ......

Rather a lot of photos - sorry !      

• These are such beautiful and great photos
  • A couple more pics to add from yesterday although it was generally quieter around the woodland .....

Paul (MC) will be pleased to know we try feed one robin family every day with fresh supply of waxworms or mealworms !    These are shy woodland robins so not the hand landing variety you find at Leighton Moss but they do come to the call of "robbie"     LOL

next,  spot the Jay (uncropped)

We have both pied and grey wagtails around the mere and science park areas

and a coot on the mere enjoying a freshen up and strutting its stuff with huge grey-green feet  !      It's heard the weather forecast is set for summer next week :)

It was in such a good mood I asked it had it seen a Great Crested Grebe anywhere  !    

All I could say after searching where it was pointing was    Bah - humbug   !      hopefully next time ;)

• Omg! No idea how i missed your fab pics 1st time round Hazel. Those Heron chicks have trouble written all over them lol. Hope you and Mike are doing well.
  • Grey Heron viewed from our balcony (responsible for a dozen missing mallard ducklings ! )   Despite that, I still love these magnificent birds and are lucky to have a heronry ten mins walk away

catching plenty of sticklebacks as well as ducklings 

it's a beautiufl garden ornament  ! 

spotted a duckling but unsuccessful this time -  half the residents in this apartment building are on heron watch/duckling protection   LOL

I try keep on the side of nature red in tooth and claw but it's difficult when you have a cute little duckling swimming happily on the pond just below !

Here's the snack on the heron's menu    :(    awwwww   

sunning .....