Parkland birds

Hello again forumates,   sorry I've been absent for a while but it's been a challenging and busy few months for us so decided to take a longer than planned break from the forum.    It will take me a while to catch up on what's been happening and I'll post a few pics up although to be honest I haven't been anywhere other than our immediate parkland area where we are living but having said that we have a good range of birds here on parkland in Cheshire.      Still haven't had my eyes sorted out yet either due to lockdown and other things going on and keeping us otherwise occupied so pics are a bit hit and miss at the moment,  missing more birds than I manage to capture on camera !      Almost forgotten how to use a camera as often I would take my walks with Mike without any gear except for binoculars  - but always carrying a tub of mealworms !      Hope you've all been keeping well and I'll try bob in on the forum when I get chance;    just didn't want you thinking I'd fallen into a large sink hole and disappeared    LOL     

A few pics from the last few months to prove I haven't sold the camera ;)

Trying to look innocent but responsible for several missing Mallard ducklings :(       Nature red in tooth and claw but he/she also has to feed their own growing chicks

and here's one nest of dinosaur chicks ...........      we have a heronry on part of the parkland (island on the mere)   

they just look like trouble don't they ?    LOL

We also have the largest breeding area in North West for Mandarin ducks;    although notoriously shy it takes a lot of patience and camouflage to try capture these birds on camera but today I saw the single mandarin duckling again .......

There are lots of bird boxes around the woodland including stonecrete ones that one pair of Nuthatches have taken a liking to  .........

seem to be finding plenty of insects

Lots of Treecreepers around too ............

Blackcaps are also around in numbers ....    here's the male

and here's the female thankfully finding plenty of bugs, insects for her nestlings

Chiffchaffs are in full voice ...... it was singing its name too

Chiffchaff again .....

This one had a different  "hweet" sound so thinking if may be a Willow Warbler (grateful thanks to Rob for Chiffchaff ID)  

same bird showing quite long wing length ?   "Hweet"    !!    Chiffchaff it is !

Common Buzzards are always on the parkland - this one perched opposite our apartment .....

This one also seen from our balcony .....

Pair of Great Crested Grebes are on the large mere ......  

and the tons of robins around ........ this little robin I try visit most days as it is feeding young so I leave live mealroms on the post for the adults to take to their chicks

Todays visit to the same pair of robins

and a handsome male chaffinch singing away to finish this post ......

Rather a lot of photos - sorry !      

• Hi Rob, many thanks for the ID, it was single syllable so Chiffchaff it is, much appreciated, thanks again.
  • So good to see you posting again aitch & such great pics ... guess it took you a long time to climb out of that sinkhole? Lol
  • LOL Wendy, thanks, I'm still in the sink hole but getting there ! good to be back although not full time just yet
  • Welcome back Hazel, I don't think we have broken anything while you were away, if we did it was not my fault honest !! Great photos, I love the Grebes we seem to have spent a lot of time watching one particular pair hoping for good things to happen
  • Cheers Pete,   hope you and Chris are keeping well

Wendy S said:
    I don't think we have broken anything while you were away, if we did it was not my fault honest !!

LOL,    nothing broken - not even a glitch on the forum  ?   I must be in the wrong place  !!

post edit:  there is a glitch,  its calling you Wendy S     LOL

• We've got used to that haven't we Pete ... siamese-twinned courtesy of RSPB! Lol
  • Lovely pictures Hazel, and good to see you back.

I'm sorry to read about the delays to getting your eyes sorted, hopefully things will start sorting themselves out.

I was up Cheshire way on Wednesday last, at Burton Mere, and it was a fabulous day, but more on that in another posting.

• Thanks Mike,    nice to be back and now busy catching up on all the posts I missed out on and enjoying the photos that everyone has put up. 

Michael B said:
    I was up Cheshire way on Wednesday last, at Burton Mere, and it was a fabulous day, but more on that in another posting.

We may try get to Burton Mere when weather bucks up,  currently pouring down although we did venture out on the woodland here to feed a pair of robins who have nestlngs.    Burton Mere is a great rspb reserve and is within an hour drive for us so not too bad and over the years we have had some interesting birds there including 9 spoonbills, avocets, little owl, long eared owl, water pipit, Marsh Harrier and even a long tailed duck !    always something of interest most times and also the dragonflies, butterflies which should be appearing shortly and when the rain has ceased.    Look forward to seeing your post and pics.

• Unknown said:

We may try get to Burton Mere when weather bucks up,  currently pouring down although we did venture out on the woodland here to feed a pair of robins who have nestlngs.    Burton Mere is a great rspb reserve and is within an hour drive for us so not too bad and over the years we have had some interesting birds there including 9 spoonbills, avocets, little owl, long eared owl, water pipit, Marsh Harrier and even a long tailed duck !    always something of interest most times and also the dragonflies, butterflies which should be appearing shortly and when the rain has ceased.    Look forward to seeing your post and pics.

It was a lucky weather break, so I just grabbed the bull by the horns. It is a great reserve, and I'll definitely be back, hopefully with more time to spare, and the new hide is brilliant.

I also want to get back to Conwy at some point in he near future.