Displaying Grebes

It was a lovely sunny afternoon up here in N.Yorkshire (it does happen sometimes) so were had a walk round our local wetland. On the main lake we spent ages watching a pair of Great Crested Grebes doing their famous dance. After enjoying this for a while Chris and myself started to think they were late doing this display as most other G.C.Grebes were either on the nest or feeding youngsters. We wondered of they were youngsters who were late starting this breeding game or is the dance a display of further bonding of a pair already breeding. Great Crested Grebe is not a species I have studied much so we wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this, very little seems to be written about them.  We had plenty of good sightings with Warblers singing everywhere including Cettis singing in its regular spot but no sight or sound of the Grasshopper Warbler that has been around recently. It was quite a good test for the steroid injection I had in my hip a week ago, It seems to be having some affect.

• Wendy S said:

It was a lovely sunny afternoon up here in N.Yorkshire (it does happen sometimes) so were had a walk round our local wetland. On the main lake we spent ages watching a pair of Great Crested Grebes doing their famous dance. After enjoying this for a while Chris and myself started to think they were late doing this display as most other G.C.Grebes were either on the nest or feeding youngsters. We wondered of they were youngsters who were late starting this breeding game or is the dance a display of further bonding of a pair already breeding. Great Crested Grebe is not a species I have studied much so we wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this, very little seems to be written about them.  We had plenty of good sightings with Warblers singing everywhere including Cettis singing in its regular spot but no sight or sound of the Grasshopper Warbler that has been around recently. It was quite a good test for the steroid injection I had in my hip a week ago, It seems to be having some affect.

The only thing I can offer is, I have photos of GCG in some form of ritual taken 25th July 2019, where they were handing each other weeds. I can say that date with confidence, because it was the first day of using my 5D4.

The link to the photo, complete with all other detail:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/peak-rambler/48402671281/in/album-72157709428270416/

• Thanks for that Mike maybe they are going for a second
    brood or he is still trying to charm her while brooding the first eggs.
  • Wendy S said:
    Thanks for that Mike maybe they are going for a second

brood or he is still trying to charm her while brooding the first eggs.

You're welcome.

The art of courtship isn't always easy. LOL Though that pair seemed quite harmonious, if you looked at the preceding and following photos.

• Thanks for that Bob good news really you can never have too many Great Crested Grebes in my opinion.