Goodbye, tree

I am gutted to say that, after more than 21 years of living in this neighbourhood, an integral part of the scenery is being cut down as I type:

We've seen other, smaller,  trees being cut down in our time here but this is easily the biggest one.  The worst thing is that when Limpy went to investigate why it was going the tree surgeon's response was 'because we can'.  Absolutely gutted.

• Dear Clare,
    I'm feeling with you. Same obnoxious, insensitive attitude by our local council, North Norfolk District Council. they have appointed an absolute idiot to manage tree operations; last year he caused the felling of a mature Holm Oak above the Cromer Esplanade and when approached, claimed [falsely] that Norfolk Wildlife Trust's experts had advised the felling. A written statement by NWT explained later that they had advised the Council only to clear the diseased Sea Buckthorn. Which seems to imply that the Council's appointed tree felling manager doesn't know the difference between the two species... . I sensed, when talking to him, the same boastful 'because-we-can' attitude.
  • Sad.

It seems to be the way these days, to chop trees down. We had someone chop down two large trees a couple of years ago, which resulted in a pair of buzzards disappearing. I can only guess they found a new home, though we do have buzzards in the area again.

Many of you will recall the issues with trees being chopped down in Sheffield during the last year or so, in an industrial fashion.

Locally here, not just trees chopped down, but complete woodland areas are being decimated!

All the woodland and fields I used to play in as a child, are now housing estates, retail or business parks, and what was left, is HS2!

They call it progress!

We have two trees in our garden, a sycamore and cherry, both of which will stay with us unless their health dictates otherwise, though there are and never have been any nests in them, they do provide a perching area, so I have them trimmed around October time, every 3-4 years.

• One of my fears is that the tall conifer a few gardens away from me will be cut down as it is home to a great many coals and blues, wood pigeons and probably others too. Then across the road from me is a yew which is home to the long tails so I’m hoping that will be left alone too. It’s a great pity when the powers that be decide to decimate the local trees in he name of progress.