Blackbird nest..

Last year we had a blackbird nest and four hatched babies, unfortunately during a night something got to the nest and we found four dead babies and a lot of feather from the parent. This year we have another nest with mother sitting on eggs but the bush has been cut back. How can we protect her, she is sitting on the eggs constantly now.

• We have a mature looking blackbird fledgling in our garden. I spotted it 3 days ago when I saw my 2 cats looking at it. It does not fly away when I go near but quickly scurries away. It has a yellow beak and has lost most of its downy feathers and is finding worms and eating the seeds and berries I am providing. It looks very healthy and is very mobile. Our garden is walled and it shelters in a covered area at the bottom our garden. Over the last 3 days I have never seen it fly. There are a pair of blackbirds often in the garden but they ignore it.

I am keeping my cats in. is there anything I should be doing?
  • Hi Pauline, normally once the babies fledge the nest they spend the first while scurrying out and in from under the bushes and shrubs, they will fly after a bit, keeping the cats away is the right thing to do.