A new dawn, and a new era

A new dawn, and a new era.

Retirement starts today, a day earlier than planned, but my manager who has to collect all my tech kit, laptop, ID card and electronic card key plus works mobile phone has to be elsewhere today, so they offered to let me go a day early and pay me to stop home and enjoy my new found freedom.

It was an emotional goodbye, and the past week, after 23 years, a lot of people who I'd long forgotten, came over to wish me well.

If I'd have gone during my accident recovery, things would have been very difficult, but my self esteem was re-established and it enabled me to put a proper closure to work and the good people I've worked alongside and with rather than just walking away.

Right, now to chat to Mr Advisor #1, so I'll catch you good people later on.

• Unknown said:

Many congratulations on your new found retirement Mike and can imagine it was an emotional day to bid farewell to your colleagues and turn over a new page in your book with more freedom to choose your daily plans. I'm sure you'll still catch up with old colleagues now and again but meantime hope you have a long and very happy retirement with new adventures, especially once we get a bit more of these restrictions lifted. Will raise a glass of red tonight in celebration for you !! any excuse LOL

Cheers.

Myself and Mrs PR raised a glass as well. Mrs PR enjoyed a little red wine, while I enjoyed my favourite tipple, a single malt; Dalwhinnie.

• Unknown said:
    Happy retirement!!
    I'm sure you will find plenty to do with your time ... if you have any left over from being out with the camera!!

Cheers Nige.

You know the old saying: "use it or lose it", I recall being told that the old 35mm SLR's needed to be used regularly to keep the mirror mechanisms in fine fettle.

I'm sure I can twist that to modern DSLR's.... Thumbsup

• Well you seem to have timed that right, Mike, a month before significant easing, just time to do Mrs PR's chore list, and warm up through early spring, ready for a full season of birding and insecting!! Congrats and enjoy yourself!!
  • PimperneBloke said:
    Well you seem to have timed that right, Mike, a month before significant easing, just time to do Mrs PR's chore list, and warm up through early spring, ready for a full season of birding and insecting!! Congrats and enjoy yourself!!

Cheers PB, I'll certainly make the best of it, assuming things go to plan and this new Brazilian variant doesn't thwart everything.

• Hi Mike,
    I'm glad to hear you're making such good progress from having been in such a bad place. Is it your very active background that has given you the strength to ignore the possible bad prognosis and get out and about again on two legs? It sounds like a truly supportive employer has been quite important to you, along with family and friends.

I find photography and wildlife watching a wonderful incentive to get up and out, even if today has been highjacked by a leaking bath surround, but at least I didn't have to fix it after a day at work.

Wishing you all the very best for getting out and about with your camera and bins.

Trevor
  • A very emotional day and a very happy one for you Mike, It looks like you have been to hell and back with your unfortunate Injury and through your willpower you are now on the right side of it. But now Mike your life begins again
    You shall have a new freedom in your life and do the things you have thought about while waiting for this special day to come, May your Retirement be a Happy and long one and enjoyable throughout, I shall Toast your retirement with a glass of port, all my best wishes ILR
  • Best wishes, Mike, and may you soon discover that, like many retired people, you will begin to wonder how you ever had time for work!
  • TJS said:
    Hi Mike,
    I'm glad to hear you're making such good progress from having been in such a bad place. Is it your very active background that has given you the strength to ignore the possible bad prognosis and get out and about again on two legs? It sounds like a truly supportive employer has been quite important to you, along with family and friends.

I find photography and wildlife watching a wonderful incentive to get up and out, even if today has been highjacked by a leaking bath surround, but at least I didn't have to fix it after a day at work.

Wishing you all the very best for getting out and about with your camera and bins.

Trevor

Thank you Trevor.

Like you, and a good many photographing wildlife and landscapes are a great escape, and with the addition of a camcorder last summer, I've plenty to keep me occupied, and out of Mrs PR's way.

• i love robins said:
    A very emotional day and a very happy one for you Mike, It looks like you have been to hell and back with your unfortunate Injury and through your willpower you are now on the right side of it. But now Mike your life begins again

You shall have a new freedom in your life and do the things you have thought about while waiting for this special day to come, May your Retirement be a Happy and long one and enjoyable throughout, I shall Toast your retirement with a glass of port, all my best wishes ILR

Thank you ILR, I'm actually looking forward to the new found freedom, after some early apprehension.

Onward and forward.

• Unknown said:
    Best wishes, Mike, and may you soon discover that, like many retired people, you will begin to wonder how you ever had time for work!

Thank you.

I've not even been retired a week, and I'm already finding that one out!

And that's without the help of Mrs PR finding jobs to do.... LOL