Can anyone identify what these two UK birds are?

The question as to the above. I do know.

• Unknown said:
    I know there's almost a zero chance of me seeing that harrier where I live

Never say never Nige !    however, I think we stand more chance of the Pallid Harrier or even Bearded Vulture  !!    - unless you've already seen the PH when it was in the NW, was it 2017 ?    

• Hi

heres a weird thing- no one identified a Ring Billed Gull in Britain until they knew what they looked like- it just wasnt in the field guides- I pasted a picture into my Peterson in about 1982.

S

STOP PRESS- Montys is on my self found list- yippeeee
  • Unknown said:
    Never say never Nige ! 

I did say "almost a zero chance" Grinning It has been my intention to go across to the site where they are often seen ... one of these days ... if I can remember which reserve. 

You've got a good memory, I couldn't have said the PH was here in 2017. Sadly, it was up on the moors and at that time I would have never have made it due to circulation problems in my leg seriously inhibiting my ability to get up inclines. Fortunately, that problem has been completely sorted and I can zip up hills like a mountain goat again but I'm still waiting for the Harrier to come back!

• I suppose it's different now that birds from everywhere can easily be looked up on the internet. Of course, someone has to realise it's unusual in the first place and at least have an idea where it might have come from! It always amazes me that these extremely rare vagrants are always spotted and ID'd so quickly when they turn up. Surely some must be seen by people who have no idea!!
  • Unknown said:
    people who have no idea

Me, me meeeeeeeeee Grinning

• I suppose it's different now that birds from everywhere can easily be looked up on the internet. Of course, someone has to realise it's unusual in the first place and at least have an idea where it might have come from! It always amazes me that these extremely rare vagrants are always spotted and ID'd so quickly when they turn up. Surely some must be seen by people who have no idea!!

Hi

even back in the 80's we would get photos taken in people's back gardens of rare birds- ( I remember a Slate coloured Junco that we all missed down the road)

now they get put on fb or bird forum or here :)

S
  • I imagine not so immediate in those days when you had to wait for photos to be developed!
  • Unknown said:
    Fortunately, that problem has been completely sorted and I can zip up hills like a mountain goat again

Now young man........   some of us "elders"  can only dream now of zipping up any hill   LOL         I just had a reminder today when I reached my 65th birthday !    I did manage a 5 mile undulating walk to the village and back so not quite ready for my Zimmer frame yet ;)       As for the PH,   I wonder if and when we will see it again so we'll have to make do with the Marsh Harriers at LM for the time being once lockdown allows a return.   

• Hi

we had 1 hour developing in 1979...

No pagers or Apps for rarity info - but we got by- the field guides were rubbish til 1980 as well so we worked hard and learned stuff ourselves.

S
  • The MH attempted to breed about 6 miles from us about 12 years ago. A group organised a nest protection watch but it unfortunately the nest failed.Other than this the nearest to us I've seen was a few years sgo at RSPB Blacktoft Sands, beautiful raptor to watch