Can anyone identify what these two UK birds are?

The question as to the above. I do know.

• This is a little bit of trivia for those that know there birds. I know what the two birds above are. The two birds above are not well known outside of the keen birdwatchers in the UK. I do know a few individuals who’ve just taken an interest in birdwatching within the last year and neither could identify these 2 birds also there are recent new members of my local RSPB Group who couldn’t and hadn’t heard of these two birds.

• We are still lucky enough to get these birds around our way. The first kept me company for many years when I worked outdoors in the Spring & we have regular one's that sing & perch locally. They nest on the ground in the local vineyards.
    The 2nd I have helped a friend set up nest protections because they nest in crops that are harvested before the young fly. We don't see them as often as I would like.
    Very good drawings, from a book?
  • Well neither are on my garden list .... yet

S
  • seymouraves said:
    Well neither are on my garden list .... yet

LOL S,     thought you would stand more chance than me in the North West at seeing the 2nd bird in the Norfolk area -  perhaps on rare occasion !      Don't know many facts about the 1st bird.  

• We get both of them in and around Poole harbour, although the MH is a rare sighting.
  • A clue about the first bird. The small bird above is much rarer than it's well known relative. It has a very beautiful song just as nice to listen to as it’s more common relative. It is a migrant, but does nest/breed every year in parts of the UK. The raptor/bird of prey was the rarest annual nesting raptor/bird of prey in the UK until this year as sadly none as far as I know nested in the UK in 2020, but that has happened on one other occasion in my lifetime as well. So I hope beyond hope, that the raptor/bird of prey above might try to nest/breed in 2021

• I see there was a sighting of a woodlark in surrey today (BirdGuides) - would love to see either of those birds.
  • I’ve never seen either of those 2 birds above. I’m not a twitcher.
  • Hi-

plenty around Norfolk of the WL- little known fact- I can impersonate the WL song.

MH is extremely rare as a breeder- not even sure it's on my self- found list- although Pallid is!

S
  • I'm not surprised many people can't identify them or even know of them. I think people learn what they see so if something is hardly ever seen then beginners won't look them up and won't know them. I think it's only with extensive experience that you start to learn birds you don't normally see eg from following social media sites and seeing photos or sightings of them and then looking them up. That's what I did (and still do) anyway. I wouldn't try and learn random birds from books unless I knew there was a good chance of seeing it ... and until I do see a bird, a description or ID points tends not to mean much. I know there's almost a zero chance of me seeing that harrier where I live so I hadn't really looked up how to differentiate it, although I did realise it wasn't the grey one I do see, which meant it could only be the other!