Lockdown photos of 2021

Many of you will have seen my garden photo thread from last year: "Post Furlough Return To Work....", and to save a thread getting too long, I  thought I'd set up one for 2021. I was hoping to make it a retirement thread, but alas, that was thwarted at the last minute just before Xmas, but nature and life still continues, and so shall I....

So here it is. The light has been, well, yuk for any decent photos, but to start things off, a few snow scenes from the garden from last Friday.

A generaly view of the garden.

The chimera, complete with coconut shell full of mealworms, which often provides good viewing, but not this day....

The established erysimum

Last years erysimum and lavender

Stay safe folks, there will be wildlife photos here soon, lockdown or no lockdown....

• Great photos again Mike lovely set
  • Lovely photos of your garden wildlife.
  • I agree with the others--it is a lovely collection, Mike. But I've not heard of a cat who de-feathered its prey; thought Sparrow Hawks did that, but then which did the original dastardly deed? Do Sprawks eat carrion?! Any thoughts anyone?
  • A lovely set of photos Mike, nice to see the blue skies. I would say yes it is a male and female sparrow, but what do I know! As far as the poor blackbird, I am of the same mind thought as Ann, a cat would not pluck all the feathers like that, it would certainly catch and kill the bird, would a Sparrowhawk come immediately after that and do the rest or only if they actually caught it? Hope the the first week of retirement has gone to plan and that you are having fun. Enjoy.
  • Poor BB ! Lovely pics Mike and even a blue sky in there. My maggie is building a nest in the conifers just behind the feeding pole! Saw it go in with twigs on numerous occasions now. RRB is looking very handsome.
  • PimperneBloke said:
    Nice variety Mike, and some "proper" blue sky too!! Lucky fella.... How's the 1st week or so retirement been?

Thank you PB.

The first week has been busy, sorting pension stuff out. Take it from me, working was far easier! LOL

Sadly, the blue sky didn't last for long, back to the battleship grey and rain......

• Catlady & Gardenbirder, I'd completely overlooked the possibility of a sparrowhawk, or possibly buzzard.

We do have resident buzzards, and I have seen a sparrowhawk, albeit only the once, so thank you for the comments. Thumbsup

As for retirement, the first week has been busy sorting pension stuff out. Working for a living was far easier! LOL

But once sorted, that should be it and I'll chill out and enjoy the new found freedom.

• Linda257 said:
    Poor BB ! Lovely pics Mike and even a blue sky in there. My maggie is building a nest in the conifers just behind the feeding pole! Saw it go in with twigs on numerous occasions now. RRB is looking very handsome.

I've not seen any nesting activity here, as yet, though my guess is it will be happening, and I'm on the lookout for opportunities to grab piccies like the one where a maggie shows off its pecks....

The follow up to that photo was my menacing magpie for hire thread.

See the following link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/peak-rambler/32517042497/in/album-72157677264308037/

• Not a lot to add, this retirement malarkey is harder than working, sorting out pension stuff! LOL, coupled with the rubbish weather and Covid19...

But once sorted, it will be worth it.

Here's some battleship grey sky additions....

While driving to the vaccination centre, I spotted some catkins, so I jus had to pull over and garb a couple of piccies...

A blackbird darting around....

And Cyril spending the day, leaping from fence to tree-to fence-to tree-to fence etc etc!

Stay safe every one

• love the flying cyril !! nice capture Mike;  one good reason why feeders have to be placed more than 8ft from any springboard   lol