Inventory: What goes in your birdwatching rucksack?

• I'll confess I'm waiting for the day that someone invents a Tardis-style backpack that I can dive in and use the toilet inside when I need to!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• In reply to Seaman:

Wendy S said:
    Jack the first aid kit comes from years of teaching folk the basics of hill walking it also includes a whistle to signal for help when the mobile has no signal

Not many folk would recognise the call for help using a whistle today, nor the response from the rescuers...

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• As well as the great additions in the comments, I've thought of something else that's worth including.

I always carry an analogue tally counter. When there's hundreds of a species, I find it easier to click my way to an exact number. Or sometimes I click groups of 5 and multiply the clicker's result. See it below:

twitter.com/.../1347591150811668486
  • Hi Jack,

Great list!
    I’m an absolute beginner and I won’t be going far from home but this is helpful information for a great day out :)

The binoculars I have are big heavy old things- good for viewing the garden but I don’t fancy carrying them about.
    Can you recommend a smart, small pair?
  • Swiss army penkinife anyone?

I was out with an intrepid band of birders on Jan 2nd a few years back when someone's bottom section tripod leg fell off:

He was stunned when my number 2 produced a leatherman for gripping and tightening and I produced black electric tape ( for making replacement tripod rubber foot) and a repair was done in 2 minutes:

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Seymouraves, what a seriously practical group of mates you all are!

Hi Mairi, thanks for the kind words! Wise choice staying close to home at the moment, same here. I recommend anything that's 8x42. I find that magnification is strong enough without 'shake' and that the 42mm objective lenses are just small enough without losing light.

I have a pair of Opticrons and always vouch for that brand, but when the shops are open again I'd recommend going to try a few out side by side to get a feel. Set yourself a budget and go along and spend some time with a few pairs :)
  • In reply to Mairi Turquoise:

CHOOSING Binoculars

The binoculars I have are big heavy old things- good for viewing the garden but I don’t fancy carrying them about.
    Can you recommend a smart, small pair?

Put 'choosing binoculars into the search bar for previous advice :)

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• REMEMBER- Let the binoculars choose you!

Plenty of advice in postings going back a few years on here:

And plenty of used RSPB bins on eBay atm

S

• In reply to Jack Stevens:

Thanks Jack,

Great I’ll have a look at your suggestions online, . Yeah I think once shops open itl be good to try them out hopefully soon!
  • In reply to seymouraves:

Hi Seymouraves,

Thanks for the helpful advice on searching on the site.
    I’ll keep that in mind :)