Inventory: What goes in your birdwatching rucksack?

You don’t need much to enjoy the hobby of birdwatching. As long as you have a decent pair of boots, a warm jacket and a pair of binoculars, you’re good to go. But what other items can make or break a day’s birding?

For me, birdwatching isn’t necessarily about the birds. Like many, I take a holistic approach to the hobby, meaning that you should consider the entire experience. It’s a chance to let out the inner-anorak. It lays dormant in many of us, but it can flourish without judgement if you really prepare to enjoy yourself in the field. Here’s a rundown of my essential items when preparing for a trip out...

• Flask
    An essential! I recommend spending a bit and getting yourself a fancy one. Tea or coffee are both equally acceptable, as long as you pack a small tupperware with some bourbon biscuits to compliment it. You could also consider packing a hearty soup instead.

• Sandwich
    Treat yourself with the bread, here. I’d avoid the white loaf and go posh with a nice ciabatta or focaccia. Fillings? Well... Normally a really tangy cheddar cheese with piccalilli or chutney. Or perhaps brie and cranberry, or peanut butter and marmite (don’t knock it until you’ve tried it). Even just squished leftovers can work. Cold spaghetti bolognese and garlic mayo, as disgusting as it sounds, is to die for in a sandwich.

• Snacks
    Limitless options! Malt loaf (with butter so thick you can see your teeth in it) is always a good choice. A handful of various nuts or a good apple, like an Egremont Russet, are also high contenders for the top snack.

• Notebook
    I’m not one for using apps to record sightings. I spend my working week looking at screens already, so I opt for a battered moleskine and a decent pen to record the day’s findings. The notebook also allows me to draw little maps, sketch wildlife or even scrapbook bits of bark or feathers.

• Entertainment
    Planning a trip to Titchwell? Great! For longer journeys, I often prepare some listening material. Don’t get me wrong, I could leave Radio 4 on, but I’m going through a bit of a 'metal' phase, so I’d rather listen to the latest Behemoth record. There’s also hundreds of great podcasts and audiobooks out there, so sometimes I download some of those in advance.

• Attitude
    It’s always great to chat to fellow hobbyists, but always be mindful to share that same enthusiasm with dog walkers, young families and other passers-by! Your friendliness gives the hobby a good name and encourages inclusivity. 
  • Hi MT

do you wear glasses and keep them on when using bins?

S
  • Mairi Turquoise said:
    Hi Jack,

Great list!
    I’m an absolute beginner and I won’t be going far from home but this is helpful information for a great day out :)

The binoculars I have are big heavy old things- good for viewing the garden but I don’t fancy carrying them about.
    Can you recommend a smart, small pair?

Mairi, I'm not sure where you location is, but if you're in the Midlands, located not far from M6 J3, there's a great optics place which has a small reserve where you can try different binoculars, from inside the shop looking out over the small reserve. The staff are very helpful, and there is also a small clothing shop on site as well.

What could be better, to try new bins....

• Hi Mike

Ah no , I’m up in bonnie Scotland,
    Otherwise that would’ve been great. I’ll see if there is similar up here.
  • Mairi Turquoise said:
    Hi Mike

Ah no , I’m up in bonnie Scotland,
    Otherwise that would’ve been great. I’ll see if there is similar up here.

I'll bet there will be something like that up there, somewhere.