Some thoughts on covid 19 restrictions

ASs some regulars may know I sometimes have a few health problems that at times restricts my access to the countryside so many of the restrictions that we have endured, and are still enduring, do not feel strange to Chris and myself. My immune system is pretty shot up at times so I'm quite good at avoiding numbers of people, I'm maybe not as anti social as it seems, and I've never been a lover of shopping unless its books. When we were recommended to shield in our own homes we actually realised we could walk the riverside fields with permission from the owners and had little chance of meeting anyone so we felt quite happy there. When restrictions eased we have four small nature reserves within a couple of miles of home with plenty of space to avoid close contact but still both watch birds and talk about birds with others doing the same, quite a little anti social bird club we are. There has been good birds aplenty and as winter has drawn closer the wintering Thrushes arrived we have been doing counts on them. One of our local reserves has got a wonderful Starling murmuration,60,000 birds at least, which we managed to social distance the grandsons to. We have found by visiting the busiest of the reserves late afternoon most birders have gone home and we enjoy the spectacle of birds going to roost. We do miss visiting our local moorland but they are outside the 3 mile radius we put on ourselves, they will still be there when all this is over and we settle down to our new normal. Because I am in that at risk category we seem to be swimming in hand sanitiser but Chris keeps an eye on what I get up to. I just hope other folk are coping as well as us and getting the support we have been getting, take care out there we will beat this lot somehow.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Our local Covid19 cases are on the rise, though the deaths are still falling in number, thankfully. Even with vaccination, things don't seem to be showing much of a sign of easing off, but then, it is a global pandemic, and if we look at Ebola, which is still prevalent, that's not giving way anytime soon.

I've said from the start, this could be with us for a couple of years, and after reading the latest govt advice, fearing I'm nearer the truth than I'd like to be.

In England at the current time, outdoor exercise, that was originally planned for 29th March, has been totally removed from England's coming out of lockdown!

Even post Easter is still down as local for England, within your city/area etc, there had been talk of autumn/winter plans to tackle Covid19, including re-embarking on the vaccination program for all, as a six monthly precaution!

Another rigorous vaccination program wouldn't surprise me, because vaccinations are generally (not all) only effective for a limited time.

We could all be used pincushions at the end of this! LOL

• Mike, I'd rather be a pincushion with well-working vaccines than dead!

Kind regards, Ann

• So would I, Ann ........... and I hate injections!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• I imagine it will be the same as flu, ie regular boosters offered indefinitely for the most susceptible.

Michael B said:
    In England at the current time, outdoor exercise, that was originally planned for 29th March, has been totally removed from England's coming out of lockdown!

I'm not sure about that. I understand the stay at home order is still planned to be rescinded as step 1 (currently the 29th March), which I assume means you should be able to exercise outdoors as often as you want (instead of just once). Various outdoor sports will also be allowed. However, the stay local order will remain in force (exactly what local means is still up for debate).

Self-contained holidays will then allowed from Step 2 (currently April 12th). Logic suggests this will automatically rescind the stay local order. Of course, British governments haven't always demonstrated the best grasp of logic.

That's my understanding taken from the government website for the Spring 2021 roadmap out of lockdown, anyway, and I'm not convinced anything has really changed since it was first released. Boris is also reported as stating nothing has changed yet following reports of vaccine shortages, so I assume the published roadmap continues as planned ... perhaps just not as quick as some hoped

Nige   Flickr

• Unknown said:
    exactly what local means is still up for debate

Tell me about it.  Limpy has PTSD and, theoretically, he can travel further for the benefit of his mental health.  However, there is no guidance on how far I can take him!  I find myself keeping my fingers crossed every time we're outside Felixstowe.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Ooops, I think I've over stated my thoughts!

For which I apologise.

I'm far from worried about bi-annual or annual jabs, having had blood tests taken on a daily basis for almost three months while in hospital, plus intravenous antibiotic drips twice a week, needles are nothing, even though bloods can no longer be taken from my right arm.

Nigel, my thoughts exactly on boosters, probably initially twice a year until things settle, then annually from there.

I am very concerned with the rising cases around me, that things could go pear shaped, and like a good many other people, feel imprisoned. Work did give me some escape, but the alternatives not to retire were not worth thinking about.

• I think there are quite a few here in a similar situation Mike I used to suggest a tap on one arm for blood samples and a camera in my gut to check Chrohns and leave the rest of the bits to fend for themselves :)

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• www.bbc.co.uk/.../uk-56475807
    This is not looking so good in lots of ways, even when restrictions end on travelling in the UK if not travelling outside of the UK, and from one of top UK doctors. Sorry having to post not such good news.

Regards,

Ian.

• Unknown said:

www.bbc.co.uk/.../uk-56475807
    This is not looking so good in lots of ways, even when restrictions end on travelling in the UK if not travelling outside of the UK, and from one of top UK doctors. Sorry having to post not such good news.

I'd seen that whilst enjoying B&B on the NHS!

Pretty much what I have feared for a long time.

I'm back home now, only in for overnight obs after another embolism. I did fear Covid initially.

• That's pretty bad news Mike, how are things now?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr